crazy spinning chick?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have a splash ameraucana chick that has a strange behavior. When I go to give them clean water they all spaz out and run to the opposite end while this one chick looks like it wants to run but just ends up running circles. I laugh every time but I feel bad for it at the same time. It is like as soon as the flight response is activated he steps on the gas but looks like someone is pulling his steering wheel
lol.png
It can't be good when it gets bigger as there is no hope of getting away from a predator like that
hmm.png
. Anyone know what causes it or had a chick do this and outgrow it?

I don't know if there is hope for it or not, but if I had one like that I would grab it and put it in front of the water as soon as it started spinning.

I am not any help as to why they do that, but I do have one chick that runs backwards and sometimes in circles, its the funniest thing I've ever seen, but sometimes I wonder if it has something wrong with it too, maybe they will grow out of it.

Quote:
well, when everyone stops freaking out it starts walking normal again
hu.gif
it only does it when it's afraid...

I had a couple of my cochins from my last hatch that would do that! They still do & it is kind of funny, but I wonder about this chick's mental ability. It looks like he's saying "the sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!" I hope they grow out of it.

I am going to add this batch is from a breeder that I have gotten eggs from before. There is also a wheaten ameraucana in this batch that has a little bit of a head bobble, almost like a tremor(it's head bounces up and down when it gets nervous, looks neurologic). Had I remembered this I wouldn't have ordered from them again. I rehomed the pullet with the bobble to someone that just wanted layers. I am wondering if these are genetic issues?

from everything ive ever seen on here... (im pretty new and like to troll the "emergencies" section to keep myself educated just incase anything ever happen)... all ive seen is that these little somersaulting spinning flipping head bobbing issues, are usually cause by a vitamin deficiency, and is treated with poly-vi-sol in theyre water(baby vitamins from the isle at walmart, just get the one WITHOUT iron fortification).....either that, or you have wierd chicks.

Quote:
I tried the vitamins with the bobble one from last year, it didn't help. I am just going to chalk this up to this breeders adult stock
hmm.png
. I will try the vitamins just in case but I am not expecting much...

Back
Top Bottom