Crazy Texas Blue Scale Quail!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    A few days ago my dad saw a Blue Quail on a fence post calling. The next morning he was on our fence calling, then he ran around the yard and flew up in the trees and called his lil' head off! This morning my mom said he was over there by my chicks in the yard and he also went into their run! My dad said he is the only Blue Quail he has ever seen on this place. So we're guessing he is a lone male looking for a mate. My mom wants me to start feeding him etc. So we'll see how that works! Will try to get a picture soon!
    Just though I'd share! [​IMG]

2. Since he is the only one around that has been seen. Maybe he excaped from some one nearby.

I would love to see pics.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I just looked of the pictures I have of him, and they're all horrible pictures! But I'll upload them anyway! Just a minute ...

4. TexasAMquaileggs

TexasAMquaileggs In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Texas
    Thats AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! If its even a bad picture its a better picture than what we all see of them. I'd love to see that happening around here. I've got all kinds of game birds and when one gets loose its GONE. I couldn't imagine seeing a Texas Blue scale running around calling.. I just hatched 50 out of 210 eggs and all of them have lived so far for the past 3 days. I can't wait to see your pics.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Here are the pictures, like I said they're really bad pics ... sorry! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. GBov

GBov Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Thats not a bad picture at all!

You should see my picture of a pheasant in our front yard back in Ireland. Even I look at it and go "Why did I take a picture of the ditch?"

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I put some food and water out for him, so maybe he'll find it. [​IMG]
    He is still hanging around, because I can still hear him calling from some where. [​IMG]

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Maybe you'll luck out and he'll find a mate and bring her home to your place. That would be cool. I have a several mated pairs of Cardinals that are at home with my Scovies. We get to see them with all their young in the spring. They know they are safe here, even my dog protects them, Cardinals are my favorite wild birds, just love their color and here they are brilliant red after cleaning up after the Scovies and chickens. Not sure how the Quail will fit into that.

Good luck keeping him around. Maybe set him,them, up a natural breeding place he can bring a mate too. Sorry, I don't know what that would be. Internet the info needed. Actually he must be seeing the prospects of a place for a family or he wouldn't be hanging around.

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    He thinks he's a chicken! lol He'll come up to the yard while the chicks are loose and just kinda hang out w/ them!?! What should I call him/her? Any ideas?

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    That Is A Young 1.... Not Fully Colored Yet. Be Careful With That Whole "feed Him Thing" As It May Likely Be Illegal. Many States Have Laws Against Feeding Wildlife---- Crazy I Know.... Just Saying Check Before You Do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by