1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy things chickens do like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveBaz, Aug 9, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Am I crazy or are my girls laying on their side with the feathers fanned out sunbathing?[​IMG] Can't believe it. I love it.

What other crazy things do your chickens do?

2. LadyBantam

LadyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    OMG How early do the babies start acting like they are taking a dust bath?? My girls are only one week old and the largest one is laying on her side and fluttering ..... I thought she was dying ..... then I realized she was fine ...? Could she already be acting like she wants a dust bath?

3. broodies&broodies

broodies&broodies New Egg

Aug 9, 2011
    My chicks do it too, i think its just stretching:D

4. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Mine are 2 weeks old and dust bathe. I set up a dust bath for them in their brooder but will they use it? no. they prefer to dust in the pine shavings. Silly little things. Also one of my older girls hops up and grabs my shirt and pulls it. Think she upset because I came to their coop with no presents. (treats).

5. awilde20

awilde20 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Mine love to jump at almost 3 weeks. And when they jump, it's straight up and set all of them off to start jumping! Looks like popcorn!

6. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Mine are almost 3 weeks and love to take dust baths in the pine shavings, lay on thier sides and stretch, and they start running and jumping and flapping all at the same time! It's hilarious! I love to watch them!

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My chicks do the same thing...

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

OMG! I know its a pecking order thing, but the babies chase each other around and then run at each other and do a chest bump thing with their wings all flapping and then they run and do it to a different one. I get a kick out of them. My bigger babies, well for some reason if I go out to early to close them up, the black silkie roos, they will just stand on my toes, peck them, and then grumble when I pick them up to put them away. They know how to go up, but they're just needing something to complain about. And my pretty girl, white leghorn, she will fly up, and stand on the top of the door and watch everything I do, and I know she thinks she is the queen of the world. She's always first out and last to bed.

9. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a sand box in the brooder before the chicks go in. One hour out of the shipping box and this little chick was sunbathing in the sand box. The brooder was in front of a window and the chick was actually sunbathing.

[​IMG]

10. Sonic Pug

Sonic Pug Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 week old Wyandotte took her first dust bath in a saucer of sand. She stumbled out like she was drunk, then plopped down on her side with her wing out and toes curled. Very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by