1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crazy things your chickens do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cjhixon, Aug 27, 2011.

1. cjhixon

cjhixon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Bonsall, CA
    I couldn't train a chicken to do this if I tried my whole life. Penny, our first RIR, follows me to the house when I let her out of the coup each morning. She follows me inside and walks over to our book case in the family room. (This piece of furniture is from italy. It was actually meant for the kitchen. It has a small space on the bottom to keep a chicken or two. I guess they used to keep chickens inside? Anyway, we use it for the book case and I leave the board off that is used to keep the chickens in.) Penny sits in there until she lays her egg and then goes outside to find the rest of our flock. HOW COOL IS THAT? Fresh eggs delivered!! She is in there now. Penny is one funny chicken.

What crazy things do your chickens do?

2. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    My girls do alot of crazy things---too many to post now--like my EE will preen my hair in evening when I go down and sit with them before bedtime..(maybe not so crazy to some) I like it...my hubby thinks I'm crazy or stupid) LOL...But I think that is so cool..To bad she can't train the others to bring you their eggs every morning...LOL

3. Babybella1111

Babybella1111 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    My two younger chicks (18 1/2 weeks) will follow me up to my back door and when I don't let them in with me they will "knock" on the door with their beaks! Silly chickies![​IMG]

4. daholtzclaw

daholtzclaw New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Michigan
    When we are sitting on our patio furniture our chickens will come and either jump on our lap or sit next to us. There has even been "debates" between our toy poodles and the chickens as to who gets to sit where. [​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Can't view photo's, old computer:(
    Sounds really cute though. Our son managed to break our kitchen cupboard doors clean off. And we can't find new hinges, as it's an old cupboard. The hens decided this is a wonderful place to lay eggs. So I get mine delivered to the kitchen:lol:
    Last night I was just falling asleep when I felt something bumping my back, very gently. Confused, I rolled over and found my two youngest pullets, who sleep inside, looking very guilty. They obviously thought I was sleeping and sneaked onto our bed. I wouldn't have known if one of them didn't have an itch. Her scratching woke me.
    I'll post more as I remember. The chickens are such a part of our household, we find everything normal!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  6. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    The pictures are priceless. What beautiful chicken you have.

7. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    What a great chicken!! I would like to see a pic of the cabinet....sounds cool! [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Every single time I look or turn my head towards my oldest EE, she squats.[​IMG] It's the weirdest thing, my other two layers do not squat that easily.

9. cjhixon

cjhixon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Bonsall, CA
    One of my americanas does that. She squats and lifts her wings a little. She is saying pick me up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by