Crazy weather & laying

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bayouchica, Apr 9, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi yall, Is it just me or this wacky weather effected your laying hens? I know our weather isn't as cold as most folks but gosh we had atleast a 20 to 30 degree temp change. It's warming back up now thank goodness.
    Before we had this cold snap I was getting dozen or two dozen a day or more, last few days I've got maybe 6 a day [​IMG] Every is fine doing fine eating etc....
    Anyone else out there notice a change?

Miriam

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have noticed a BIG change in mine as well.....since the weather went from the low 80's back down to the 20's at night. UGH! Im ready for SPRING!

3. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    me too! it was 70's and now there is snow and teen temperatures! but thankfully, it has warmed up a bit. it is also very windy though. oh please everyone check out my post. if you go to the BYC homepage you will see Help! new chicken w/ wound Click on it and see my pictures and everything. Please leave any advice![​IMG]

4. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I'm glad to hear that, makes me feel better! So far today I've noticed a few more eggs.
    It would be just my luck,I just started selling my eggs to a farmers market and egg production goes down!

Miriam

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This is what I did....right before lock down....I went in and turned the light on....I left it on all night tho...they didnt seem to mind...after 2 days of this...I went out there today....13 hens...13 eggs! Woohoo! Guess 13 isnt bad luck after all!

6. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    My hens dropped a little. They went from around 11 eggs a day to 7 eggs.

7. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Well I got 15 today [​IMG] I'm so paranoid [​IMG] I was starting to worry !!

Yall have a good evening, Miriam

8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My egg production dropped also. Glad to hear I'm not alone!! Thought maybe they were laying in the neighbors yard or something!:eek:

9. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Me too. Things were just picking up with the temps in the 70's and 80's at the beginning of last week. Then, BAMM, back to winter numbers.:eek: Oh well, it has to warm up again soon.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by