1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crazy weather

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ams3651, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    yesterday it was in the 50's sunny but muddy. Let the chickens out in the yard for a bit seeing as they have been penned up for weeks at a time this winter. Today..........[​IMG] 40 degrees and dropping, 50 mile per hour winds, snow showers later. I went out to pick up stuff, my son has a truck box full of stuff behind his shed, it BLEW at least 10 feet from where it was, our fill up swimming pool has been sitting over there with about 5 inches of water in the bottom, the wind is picking the whole one side up ! I was out there for less than 10 minutes and it was pushing me around, I am far from a light weight, I came back in because it was taking my breath away. I hope we dont loose power [​IMG]

by the way, the chickens know enough to stay in. They would definitely be flying away.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    We had terrible winds here during the night. I found one of my grow out pens had blown away and down in the meadow behind the house!! Going to take an army to get it back and put in place!!! [​IMG]

3. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    We still have bad winds here my lawn chair has flown way out in the middle of the corn field so as soon as this wind quits, I will be going for a walk through the mud again [​IMG]
    It was so bad last night my front door kept flying open It was scary

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Windy here, this morning we had to go retrieve the garbage cans that used to be at the side of the house. The temps never went below 48 degrees last night, but I hear that cooler weather is moving in [​IMG]
    My chickens are sooooo happy to see the grass and leaves again. They have been going gang busters in the woods. I guess it sure beats hanging out under the deck and eating crumble and scratch. Even my broody with her 2 week old has been out all day for the last couple days. Why can't it just be spring???[​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    It didnt get too cold outside. But it is blowing real bad. My DS thought that a monster is eating our house(he still remembers the FL hurricanes). Some schools are closed or delayed but ours were open. MY neighbors one tree blew over ,was slowed down by another tree and both trees landed inches frm another neighbors house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by