1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CRAZY weird egg development?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monaandthechicks, Jan 21, 2010.

1. monaandthechicks

monaandthechicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    MA.
    I have been trying to find this info because I found this so darn fascinating!! I am mad at myself for not taking a picture...... doh!

My little ladies have been laying for about a week, all are doing a great job [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] except one seems to be shooting out soft shelled eggs or non shelled ones while up in the roost? Until yesterday... I understand soft shells or non shells happen with them getting their egg development down so this is not a biggie to me, BUT...... yesterday I found a nearly clear soft shelled one in the nest,(good girl, she is at least off the roost) BUT it was not fully closed, meaning it had a connector on the top of it and the start of another egg attached to that, almost like a sausage link. (sorry it is the only way I can describe it) I told my 10year old about and I she was so disappointed that I did not save it for her to see, now I am too.... it was so interesting. I guess the development was not strong enough to seal the egg and the chicken went on to create another egg??

anyone else ever see this? what are your thoughts on this?
    THANKS!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, yeah, I've had an egg or two with a "tail" attached. Just a glitch.

3. monaandthechicks

monaandthechicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    MA.
    Thank you!!!!! Interesting!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by