crazy

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthreewithchicks, Aug 9, 2010.

1. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Well now I know I am crazy as I just ordered ducks for dear hubby's birthday. He has been up in arms since I got chickens and he doesn't have a duck.

What are things you wish you would have known when getting started in ducks?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    The only thing I can think of at the moment: They're extremely messy! They love to soak their brooder wither water, they need to mix their feed in their water so they can swallow it, and they poop a lot. [​IMG]

Even so, they're a lot of fun and very cute. [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

What kind of ducklings did you order?
    I noticed this year, since I have had a lot of mixed breed ducklings here, that my Muscovy ducklings are SO much neater in the brooder than the mallard-derived breed ducklings!

The Muscovies just sit next to the waterer and drink but the other babies will lay in it, kick in it, fill their mouths up and spit it across the brooder! i finally had to quit using pellet bedding with the mutt babies because they're be turned into sawdust 10 minutes after i filled the waterer up, lol.

I can, worry free, keep the scovy babies with the chicks because they're so un-messy [​IMG] .

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I bought 10 Mallards since he had them as a kid and remembers chasing them around the yard (or them chasing him), 10 Welsh Harlequin and 10 jumbo pekin

I sure hope I know what I have gotten into as I have been telling him no all summer [​IMG]

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:i guess that's where alicia learned to kick the peas before she eats them. darned stinkin mallards LOL.

they are messy but worth it. i had duckies in my bedroom for 7 months. i miss it but i don't miss cleaning up after them!

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    What do you use for treats and when did you start giving them the treats?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by