crd and babies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by granny hatchet, Oct 5, 2013.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my chickens have been sick with crd and they were sitting eggs too. some eggs i put in the incubator and some they are hatching themself. i have treated the chickens but i know they will be carriers . the ones in the bator are hatching as well. i wondered what i can do with these doodles when they are big enough to come out of the brooder? any suggestions would be helpful

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could see about getting them tested to see exactly what they have, then research that. Perhaps your County Extension Agent or office can help with this, or your State vet lab. At the very least, you need to keep a closed flock, that is, no birds or hatching eggs can leave your property. Many experienced chicken keepers would cull the flock, disinfect and start over.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    What is CRD

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have treated them with tylan inj. they are my pets, the eggs were just a uh oh. i live in the boonies and cant find a chicken vet unless i go to cinncy. 2 hours away. since i have a small flock and plenty of room i wondered if i could add them later on? we have a co-op here,is that what you are reffering too? i was breeding on a very small scale but i know thats out now until all of mine are gone, im just not ready for that yet.[​IMG]

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i probably wont spell this right but its, cronic respertory disease. its a terrible thing that can kill ur whole flock and they stay carriers the rest of their life. allways, allways confine new birds away from ur flock for at least a month to make sure their not sick or cry like me

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chronic Respiratory disease is a respiratory disease caused by Mycoplasma. It causes swelling of the face, sneezing, coughing, gurgling, and other respiratory symptoms. There is no real treatment for CRD, as birds that recover will be carriers. Giving antibiotics can help birds survive, though. Many birds have Chronic Respiratory Disease, but only show sings of the disease when they are stressed out.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It being devastating like that is not typical CRD. You might be looking at ILT or something even worse if they are dropping off. Mortality rate is usually around 5-10% of infected birds.

Unless you know for sure this is what they have, don't just assume it is.

There are many other causes of the symptoms of CRD. Some are not chronic. Unfortunately CRD is very common, so until you can get a vet to clear your flock of the disease, please never sell any chicks or eggs..

As for your initial question, subject them early. You want them to build immunity. If they were raised by a parent with CRD, they'd almost become immune from what I've read. Maybe do a little googling on that to see what you can come up with,

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thanks for the info, none of mine have died, they are on the road to recovery. there are no vets around me willing to test or treat chickens. my doggy vet was kind enough to order tylan based on symptoms for me.. they are young and beautiful show hens (bantams) that i will not be able to breed again and that is heart breaking , it has took me 5 yrs. of trial and error to get the perfect flock for me. they are not just chickens to me they are a lot of things, my stress remover, my i feel needed syndrome , my, oooh arnt they beautiful pride thing. and i may not be able to let them go just yet but i will not infect your flock and let you go through what some one has me. pride goeth before the fall

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm sorry this has happened to you. Some people just keep their chickens even though they are ill, especially when they are pets like yours.

Were you originally asking how to house the ones you will reiase in a brooder? (I'm not sure what your original question is.) It is possible they will not be infected with whatever the adults have; even the diseases that can be passed through the egg aren't always. You could house the new ones in a separate coop and run if you wished: upwind from the old one would be best.

If you are going to mix them all into one flock eventually, usually, people keep them separate until they are about the same size as the adults, then gradually introduce the two flocks. How well they will mix, how much they will fight, depends a lot on the individual chickens and the flock dynamics. Integration could go relatively peacefully, or it could be rather violent.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/803815/integrating-two-groups/0_20

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can get your chickens tested through the state vet. They need one chicken to be sacrificed for a necropsy, or they may tell you how to get a sick chicken tested. It would be worth calling just for information. The bodies have to be refrigerated, not frozen when mailing them, but driving them would be better. The KY state vet number is 800-372-7127. Here is a locator link for your state vet: http://www.kyagr.com/statevet/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by