1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CRD Dead hen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sami, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi
    I think i have a case of CRD in my coup. Only some of my hens are sneezing but this morning I went out to the coup, which is well ventalated and clean and one of my hens was dead on the floor...she had been one that was sneezing. She was healthy and walking around yesterday, other then the sneezing.

My questions is if they do have CRD should I be consuming the eggs? I am going to go and get the tetracyline at the TSC store tonight and I know that I can't consume the eggs but I was wondering about the eggs in my fridge now.

Also, I was wondering if there was a natural rememedy that would just as well so I don't have to throw out my lovely brown eggs.

thanks

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are poultry diseases that are transmittable to humans. I recommend that you have a necrospy performed on your dead hen to determine what you're dealing with. If you've disposed of her, I recommend that you get a blood sample from one of your sick hens and sent off for analysis. You can contact your state agriculture department or county extension agent or a vet to find out how to go about this. I wouldnt risk eating the eggs til you know what disease they have.

3. Sami

Sami Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks. I had to disposed of the hen before I went to work this morning. I have be researching all day and all the symptoms lead to CDR. I went and bought some tetracycline from the TSC and put it in there water tonight. I have a feeling that I am going to lose another hen tonight... Really sad. I made sure that they all had some water before I went back inside. This will definately teach me to not mix birds. I'll just buy from a hatchery from now on:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by