CRD Medication

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kballard, Apr 7, 2009.

1. kballard

kballard New Egg

Apr 7, 2009
    I found out that my five hens have CRD and we purchased some medication, Duramycin-10 (tetracycline hydrochloride). We are having trouble figuring out the dosage level per day for 7-14 days. Does anyone have experience with this medication? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    First: [​IMG]

Sorry about the respiratory stuff. I have used about 1/2 tbsp of antibiotic per gallon of water. I cannot say this is perfect, and I actually err on the side of more than less. I like to see the water turn a light yellow- not as dark as Mountain Dew.

You should see improvement within 48 hours. If they have goopy eyes, you may wish to put some terramycin gel on their eyes.
    Make sure they are eating and drinking. When I had sick ones I actually syringed the medicated water into them.

DO NOT EAT THE EGGS.

If you caught it early enough they should pull through it. If not, you may lose some. I believe the mortality is between 20-50%... I had just looked this info up for a friend, too.

GOOD LUCK

3. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    My understanding is that nothing will eliminate CRD - once they have it, they will always be carriers.

Antibiotics will knock it back, but when they are stressed it will likely reoccur.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That is true. CRD is permanent. Some choose to cull rather than treat. Even if they seem to recover, they can pass it down through the egg and will probably have bouts with it from time to time during the rest of their lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by