CRD no more 4-h

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whatthecluck77, Jul 28, 2011.

1. whatthecluck77

whatthecluck77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    indianapolis
    Get this, I had someone come over who was/is a prominent figure in 4-h in my county to give me and my kids some advice on my flock before the show season and now my whole flock is infected with CRD. She has a lot of birds that live in her house and such was telling my husband how she has had a few sick birds die and now my kids cant show the birds. I now have to keep a closed flock. I was told to go to this girl cause she could help us, us being new to chickens and 4-h and she infected my whole flock. I am so heartbroken. I had spent alot of money on some awesome birds and coop and all the fixins. This really sucks! Why cant CRD just be vaccinated for? if it doesnt kill the birds and can be treated with an antibiotic, why are the birds culled? We humans may be" carriers" for the commen cold> i dont get it.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I NEVER let anyone in my coops if they have birds. It may sound harsh but the last thing I want is birds dieing from some disease.
    Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

3. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm sorry that such a horrible thing happened; I'm sure your kids were excited about showing, too. Is it possible that this lady doesn't even know that her birds have CRD? I think it would be a good thing to tell her what happened. She may be going to other people's houses and looking at their birds as well, and she could end up infecting more birds.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Antibiotics may fix the symptoms but the birds remain carriers. Humans are not carriers after they recover from a cold. CRD is not a cold; chickens don't get colds, as such. CRD does have a vaccination, I think, but the only real "cure" is to cull (euthanize) the infected bird.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Be sure you let the 4H authorities know. I am not by any means a lawsuit happy type- but my first thought was to see if there was some sort of damages claim, since you have invested heavily in your flock.

And yes, never let another chicken keeper near your flock. If speckledhen herself should come here? She'd be looking out the window of the house with binoculars to see my flock!

BTW, she needs to be banned from even going to the 4H shows.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  7. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    this is why I will always get hatchery chicks. I dont trust anybody elses dirt.
    same with my dogs, I learned this from raising poodle puppies.

pam in TX

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Hatchery chicks are not routinely vaccinated for Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) - usually, the extra charge is for Marek's Disease only.

9. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:Hatchery chicks are not routinely vaccinated for Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD) - usually, the extra charge is for Marek's Disease only.

I dont get mine vaccinated for anything.............

10. whatthecluck77

whatthecluck77 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    indianapolis
    Quote:ya i got burned on a poodle pup once. then i had one shipped from oregon. best dog ever![​IMG] thinking more about hatchery birds now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by