CRD?? or Coccidiosis??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misschickenlittle, Oct 30, 2010.

1. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    I am at a loss with my Polish... I've been reading the prior posts to try and figure out what is going on. THis is our first flock of birds so No experience here! My girls (Polish) are about 8 months old. A few weeks ago we introduced 5 RIR and 1 mixed roo... without isolation... oops! Now 2 almost 3 of my 4 Polish are very lethargic. One has been standing off by herself for about a week and now as of yesterday I noticed she has been puffing out her feathers. Tonight 3 of them are rattling in their chests when breathing. I have not noticed any bloody stools so I'm leaning more towards the CRD because of the stress from the new birds. Anyone have any confirmation for me???

Also, it has been getting colder here. We're in South Central Missouri but it's gotten down to below 30 lately... our run doors are not closed off but we have 8 foot walls and ventilation up high. There is no ammonia smell at all. I use the dep litter method with pine shavings.

Who knew chickens could get stressed! [​IMG]

2. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Well, it is still very warm here in South Florida. I am currently fighting a coccidia outbreak. No bloody stool. The coccidia was found after a necropsy was performed on a hen that died suddenly with NO symptoms. That being said, none of my chickens have any rattling sounds when they breathe at all. So my guess would be something respiratory. Good luck with your flock, and maybe someone else can give you more advice/info.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks for the links. It seems that she fits many of the diseases but none of them totally. She was up this morning with the rest scratching around for food. When I tried to pick her up, unlike yesterday, she freaked out. Yesterday, she just let me hold her. Last night I had to pick her up out of the nesting box and put her on the roost so she wouldn't sit in her poo. 3 of my Polish were not on the roost last night. I'm still not sure. She's not eating much, she droops her head, her tail feathers are pointing down and she just stands there. [​IMG] I'd really like to avoid antibiotics but if that's my only option...

5. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Sounds more respiratory to me, I to am dealing with a pullet who is puffed up, kinda lethargic but still pecking here and there, she is open mouth breathing and when you get close can hear a rattling sound. I started her on Duramycin and have been giving it to her with a syringe so I can treat only her who is sick and not the layers as they seem fine and I won't have any withdrawal time for eggs because the little sick one is not laying. That was yesterday and of this morning she appears to have improved.

6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:You are welcome- I hope she gets better soon!

7. misschickenlittle

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Well, she is back to normal! Yea!!!!! All the girls were roosting last night without us putting them up on it. Maybe it was just a little cold. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

8. ChickensAreSweet

Good to hear!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by