CRD - will I ever be rid of it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicks Galore3, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My birds contracted CRD last winter. They all battled through it, some are more weaker than others now. I know they will be carriers for life. I'm going to cull the ones who got it the worst because even now as it's been getting colder they've started having the bubbly wheezing breathing again. I've made the decision to not add to my flock until all existing members are gone, in a hope that I can get rid of CRD. Is that possible? If all the birds are gone, will the disease die out? Will I have to do anything special to the coop/yard to get rid of it?

2. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    My understanding is that crd is usually caused by mycoplasma and is easily killed. After all birds are disposed of the virus will be dead after 3 days. It cannot live off of the bird.
    For treating your birds in the mean time, you should look into denegard. It works really well for mycoplasma virus. You can get it off Amazon and the dose for outbreak is 16 ml to gallon water for 5 days. Then once a month give 8ml to gallon water for 3 days. If you do this, you should not see crd at all anymore. Denegard is bitter so adding honey or another sweetener is necessary to get them to drink it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2 I agree.

You will want to sanitize, clean thoroughly after all the birds are gone. Would recommend that you wait at least 30 days, when starting over.

I have not used it, but Oxine seems to be effective when cleaning after certain illnesses. Of course do your homework and research, you may find some better.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...tion-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens/
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have never heard of this before - I will look into it. Thank you! If I do give them this, will it still be necessary to "clean the slate" and start over with a new flock?

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I agree with wyorp Rock. They might not ever show symptoms again after denegard but they will still be carriers. Having a closed flock will still be necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by