CRD without nasal discharge or watery eyes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pecanpiepuppies, Sep 10, 2012.

1. pecanpiepuppies

pecanpiepuppies New Egg

May 16, 2012
    Hi... first post here although I've been relying on this forum as my "chicken manual" for quite awhile now. I have a flock of six chickens in my urban backyard - four of which I got from My Pet Chicken at 2-3 days old and two adult silkie pullets that I got from a very reputable farm about 2 hours away. I added the silkies in with my younger girls about 2.5 to 3 weeks ago, but they were quarantined for six weeks prior to that.

Sunday morning I went out to the coop to find two of my girls with chest rattles and major sneezing (one of which has progressed to full-blown wheezing every time she takes a breath). BUT they have no nasal discharge, no runny/foamy eyes, and both are just as active and spry as usual.

Everything I've read about CRD indicates that most chickens present with discharge of some kind. So am I dealing with something else entirely here? And did I bring this on them all with the Silkies?

As of now, I'm treating with Duramycin-10 because that is what I had on hand (although I realize that most of these things are viral and antibiotics won't really do any good) and VetRx. Is that an appropriate course of action?

Please let me know if I should provide additional details, and thanks for any help offered...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by