1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    if my vet comfirms that my chickens do have crd and i am able to get them well with tylan. i know they will always be carriers. can i vaccinate any new birds before indroducing them to keep them from contracting crd? do i treat the chickens that are in my current flock that do not show any symptoms? i can not cull the complete flock its at least fifty left. i have culled the worst 25. i am getting about 15 eggs per day even though they are sick. what would you do?

2. BRYAN662

Mar 30, 2009
    does anyone know where i can find out this info?

3. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Run a search for CRD lots of post on it
    I don't know the answer but there are others on here who have had to deal with it and would know better

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. BRYAN662

Mar 30, 2009
    thanks

6. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    A friend of mine
    Dr Ron Okimoto gave me this on
    MG
    Here is some good information on MG or CRD
    same thing

Mycoplasm (MG or CRD) is not a serious problem to the fancy unless you also have other diseases in your flock. Mortality is a little higher and egg production is decreased, but your flock will survive it.

This is the main reason that nearly all purebred backyard flocks have mycoplasm. Once you have it you can't really get rid of it unless you are willing to disinfect your property and treat all your birds with a strong
    antibiotic. Baytril seems to work, but all it takes is for one bird to retain the mycoplasm and you have it again.

Nearly all fancy breed birds that I have tried to bring in, test positive for mycoplasm either MS or MG
    or both. So if you do manage to clean up your flock you have to quarantine, test and clean up any bird
    before you introduce it into your flock.

You test for it by sending a blood sample to your state testing lab and ask for the mycoplasm MS and MG test. To test whether your birds are clean if they have already had mycoplasm and been treated with antibiotics, the antibody test will still test positive.

You have to do a more expensive PCR swab
    test to tell you if you have been successful. Your state lab may not do this test, and you will have to look around for someone that will.

The best way to clean up your flock would be a generational replacement. You clear all your old birds out and disinfect the pens.

You raise the new chicks at a clean facility and treat them with Baytril imediately after hatch. We did this for two lines treating around 600 total chicks and it worked.

Even though their parents had mycoplasm, none of the chicks tested positive after treatment for 8 days on Baytril. We used twice the recommended dosage (check with a vet) and treated the chicks with vitamin and electrolytes after the 8 day treatment.

Mycoplasm is transferred through the egg at a low frequency (1% to 10%). The older the bird the lower the frequency, but all it takes is one infected chick and the entire brooder gets infected, and as long as you have infected birds on your property the other birds are bound to get it eventually.

I wouldn't worry about it unless other diseases are a problem in your flock. Mycoplasm weakens the bird, but it doesn't weaken most birds enough for people to work hard to erradicate it. Commercial birds are free of it because any decrease in viability and egg production is a decrease in profits, but most backyard flocks aren't managed for maximum production.

Commercial breeders would be happy if the fancy erradicated mycoplasm so that it would infect their birds less often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by