Cream Cheese Pound Cake...Tweaked a bit

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Jul 17, 2011.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This Pound Cake is soooooo good, it has a velvety texture and is very moist. I decided to tweak it a bit and make half chocolate....wow....it is good!!!

(To cut the cost of making this cake I use 2 sticks of margarine and 1/2 cup of shortening) I know margarine is supposed to be the devil right now but I still use it to help keep our food budget down, I grew up eating it and I haven't died yet.

Cream Cheese Pound Cake
    Source: Southern Living, November 1995
    This is my favorite pound cake!

1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) Butter – softened
    1 (8 ounce) package Cream cheese -- softened
    3 cups Sugar
    6 large Eggs
    1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
    3 cups (14 ounces) All-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon Salt

Beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears. Add vanilla mixing well.

Combine flour and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.

Fill a 2-cup, ovenproof measuring cup with water; place in oven with tube pan.

Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan, and cool completely on a wire rack.

Variation…1/2 chocolate 1/2 vanilla

1/2 cup Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa
    4 tablespoons heavy cream (I keep it for my coffee, you could probably sub canned milk)
    1 cup chopped pecans

Add ingredients to half of the batter and stir well. I weighed the batter and 2 pounds would be half. Put the plain batter in the pan first and top with the chocolate batter and bake as above.

[​IMG]

2. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    oohh my gosh.. just when I was getting in the baking mood... sounds so yummy.

Shelly

3. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Thanks [​IMG]

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thank you for sharing BettyR!
    I have been tweaking my mom's cream cheese and sour cream pound cake recipes, trying to get some chocolate added.
    Tends to turn out dry when I do.
    Looking forward to trying this one.

5. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    BettyR,
    Do you have any other really good pound cake recipes that you like? Also, what about any sweet quick bread recipes?

Thanks in advance!
    Teresa

6. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:This pound cake is almost as good as the Cream Cheese Pound cake and it's pretty quick and easy.

Judie’s Big Pound Cake
    January12, 1998

3 c. sugar
    3 c. flour
    6 eggs
    2 sticks butter (softened)
    1/2 c. shortening
    1 c. milk
    1-tablespoon vanilla
    3 tsp. baking powder

Place all ingredients in a LARGE bowl...
    Beat 5 minutes on high speed
    Pour batter into large tube or bunt pan (WELL greased) (OR 1/2 sheet pan) Bake 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hour (until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)

Allow to cool in pan until luke warm. Once removed from the pan, I let it sit on a wire rack and cover the whole thing with a heavy towel, till the next day ... This allows the "crunch" to form. If you flip it onto a plate or serving platter right away, the part that *was* the top (open end of pan) can get soggy.
    Dust with powdered sugar

The pan I prefer to use most often (for a Bunt) is an old Nordic Ware 14 cup capacity, very big & VERY heavy. It was my Grandmothers; I don't even think they make it anymore.

It fits perfectly in a 1/2-sheet pan.

As far as the texture ... The best way I can describe it is "velvety" and rich. The top (open end of pan) gets the most delicious crispy little "crunch".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Banana Nut Bread
    (Granny Allison’s Recipe)

2 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoons soda
    1/2-teaspoon salt
    1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium)
    1/2 cups nuts
    1/4-cup sour milk (1teaspoon vinegar and 1/4 cup milk)
    1 stick butter
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    2 eggs beaten
    1-teaspoon vanilla

Stir flour, soda and salt together and set aside.
    Mash your bananas and set aside.
    Chop the nuts and set aside.
    Mix the milk and vinegar together and set aside.

Cream shortening or butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well add vanilla and beat well, stir in your bananas. With mixer on low speed mix in flour and milk a little at a time until all is mixed in then add nuts. Mix on low speed until all is well mixed.

Bake in one large loaf pan at 350° for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

You can split it up into two smaller loaf pans but reduce
    your baking time by almost half.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blueberry Bread

1/2-cup butter
    1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1-tablespoon vanilla
    1/2-teaspoon vinegar
    1/4-cup milk
    2 cup sifted flour
    1-teaspoon baking powder
    1/2-teaspoon soda
    1/4-teaspoon salt
    8 ounces frozen blueberries

Mix the margarine and cream cheese in a bowl, cream well. Add the sugar gradually and cream well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and vinegar to the milk and mix well.

Stir dry ingredients together. Remove 1/3 cup of flour mixture from the bowl, remove blueberries from the freezer and place them in the bowl with the removed flour mixture. Stir well to coat the blueberries with the flour.

Beat the remaining flour mixture and the milk mixture, into the creamed mixture a little at a time beginning and ending with the flour. Fold the remaining flour and blueberries into the batter just until combined.

Turn batter into a well-greased and floured loaf pan and bake in a 350° oven (325° for dark, coated, or glass pans) for 1 hour (I start keeping a close watch at 45 minutes). A toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread will come out clean when done.

Note: I use two pans to make thinner bread. My husband thinks the crust is the best part and the thinner loaf gives him more crust.

[​IMG]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Moms Wonderful Muffins

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 cup sliced almonds
    1-tablespoon baking powder
    1/4-teaspoon salt
    2 large eggs
    1/2-cup vegetable oil
    1-tablespoon vanilla
    1-cup milk
    Blueberries

Preheat oven to 400°
    Combine dry ingredients in the bowl of your food processor and process until the almonds are ground into a very fine meal. Add the wet ingredients and process for 20 seconds.
    Spoon batter into paper lined muffin cups, filling 2/3 of the cup with batter. Drop several blueberries on top of each muffin and poke the berries down into the batter with your finger.
    Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
    Makes 1-1/2 dozen muffins
    Variations:
    Combine:
    1/3-cup brown sugar
    1/3-cup flour
    1-teaspoon cinnamon
    4 tablespoons butter
    Before you make the muffins put this mixture in the food processor and pulse until the consistency of cracker crumbs. Pour into a separate bowl and set aside. Make the muffins and sprinkle mixture over muffins and bake as above.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Replace 1/2 the white sugar with brown sugar and top with chocolate chips and bake as above.
    Replace 1/2 the vanilla with strawberry extract and top with sliced strawberries, poke berries into batter with your finger and bake as above.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Increase sugar to 1-1/2 cups and add 3 ounces of melted baking chocolate; top with white chocolate chips and chopped pecans and bake as above.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In a saucepan over low heat melt 20 caramels with 3 tablespoons of milk, stir until smooth. Spoon sauce over the top muffins then top with chocolate chips and chopped pecans then bake as above.
    [​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Starbucks Mini Vanilla Scones
    Posted on Copykats March 15, 2007 by May M.

*Note: posted by May M - I love Starbucks's mini vanilla scones, so much so that I set out to create my own copycat version. After many trials, I think I got it! Like the Starbucks version, these scones are sweet, buttery and vanilla-y, and have a light and tender texture. Full-fat sour cream is the key ingredient, so please do not substitute. To duplicate the Starbucks's version, I topped it with a simple powdered sugar glaze.

Dry Ingredients
    2 cups all-purpose flour (2 cups weigh 9 oz)
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2-teaspoon baking soda
    1/2-teaspoon salt
    1/2-cup sugar
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces (5 TBL weigh 70 g)

Wet Ingredients
    1-cup regular full-fat sour cream
    1 large egg yolk
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Glaze
    1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    Water, as needed

* Preheat oven to 400 deg. F.
    * Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
    * Using any method you prefer, cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until flour resembles coarse meal.
    * In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, egg yolk and vanilla extract until blended. Add to the flour-butter mixture and stir with a fork until dough forms a cohesive ball. Use a spatula to get the dry bits fully incorporated. (It may not seem to have enough liquid at first, but the dough will eventually come together.).
    * Place the sticky dough onto a parchment-lined (or un-greased) baking sheet and pat into a disk about 1-inch in height. Cut the dough into wedges but do not separate.
    * Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
    * PREPARE GLAZE WHILE SCONES ARE BAKING.
    * GLAZE:
    * Place powdered sugar in a medium bowl, and add water one teaspoon at a time, mixing vigorously until smooth and runny.
    * Use a pastry brush to apply a thin layer of glaze over the hot scones. Brushing rather than drizzling gives a smoother appearance and requires less glaze.
    · Serve immediately. Store cooled scones in an airtight container.

[​IMG]

7. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    oohhh YUMMYY.. I am loving this thread...

I hve some bananas just asking to be Banana nut bread.. thanks for the recipe

Shelly

8. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Thank you!!!! I knew I remembered your screen name from some of your other baking posts and pics! I'm selling at our small local farmers' market and I'm always looking for inspiration! My customers love the Milk & Honey bread that I found here at BYC. And I love the idea for the streusel topping for the muffins!

Question: do you thaw the frozen blueberries before adding to the bread or not?

I do appreciate your taking the time to post these recipes! Thanks a bunch!
    Teresa (peepless)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:Your welcome, Granny Allison always had the very best Banana Nut Bread.

Quote:Your welcome and no do not thaw the berries, keep them frozen and don't add them until the very last moment or they will make a big purple mess.

10. Julia-Rose

Julia-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Omigosh YUM! I should make this later... Thankyou!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by