Cream colored pearls on comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beachchickie, Aug 22, 2010.

1. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    My EE has these pinhead sized pearls on her comb. She started losing neck feathers about 5wks ago. I thought it may be molt. But about a 3/4" area all around her neck is now bare. I do not see anything that looks like lice. The skin is bare but not red or anything. Are the 2 related? Any ideas?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Did you look waaay down under the feathers, next to the skin? Sometimes parasites are very hard to see......you could be right though....might just be a molt. Have you noticed this feather loss on any other hens? Those tiny things on her comb could be little eggs....Can you pick them off?

I'm pretty much guessing....thinking about what I would do in your situation......if you do find parasites, Sevin dust works really well. I dust them thoroughly, clean out the coop totally, dust everything, and then repeat the dusting in two weeks.

Here's hoping it's just a molt! [​IMG]

3. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Sorry, I just got back. None of the other girls have it. I found favus fungus online, I think that is what it is. I am applying antifungal cream to see if it will clear up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by