Cream crested legbar day old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HarrietB, Dec 12, 2013.

1. HarrietB

HarrietB Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2012
    My Cream crested legbar hatched yesterday and I can't work out if its a hen or roo! I know the roos are supposed to be light grey and the hens to be brown and stripey but this chicks a bit in the middle, I will try and attach some pics if anyone can help. My gut says its a boy which is [​IMG]

a bit of a disappointment as its the only egg that was fertile out of 6!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Cute little chick, with the stripes that light and fuzzy I would vote boy right now also, but sometimes they fool you....

3. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    i looked into feather sexing the wings, on this little one the feathers are long and have two different legnths in them which would indicate a female just to add more confusion!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Do you have a better pic of the back?

You might also post this on the CCL thread in the "breeds, genetic and showing" section, that's where the experienced CCL folks hang out.

5. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    Are you sure this is not a cross with something else? Look at the eyeliner. On Legbars this should extend all the way to the beak. Do you a better picture of the side when the chick is fully dried? Legbars can have both brown and gray down.

7. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    when i bought the eggs the parents are show birds (coming second) so i dont think it could be a cross

8. HarrietB

Dec 3, 2012
    and yes its over a day old so i think its fully dried

9. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    That chick is not very distinct. I wouldn't use it for breeding since it might pass on the same hard to sex trait to offspring.

To me it looks more male than female. I would definitely post it on the legbar thread and get their opinions on it.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    At least going by color, I'm going to say its male. But I would still post on the Legbar thread and see what other people think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by