1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cream crested legbar laying shelless eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nrepy, Mar 12, 2017.

1. nrepy

nrepy Just Hatched

Aug 28, 2016
    Hellertown, Pennsylvania
    Hi! I'm new to chicken keeping, and my one 11 month old cream crested legbar is laying shelless "rubber" eggs. She will lay a thin shelled egg, then a few normal eggs, but then a bunch of shelless eggs. I feed all my girls oyster shell and egg shells with their layer feed. I limit the treats to once a day. She is eating and drinking normally, and doesn't seem ill. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Nichole

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi Nichole, did she just start laying? At the beginning and end of the laying process, thin or no-shelled eggs are normal.

3. nrepy

nrepy Just Hatched

Aug 28, 2016
    Hellertown, Pennsylvania
    Hello, "Bee" first started laying in September. She'll be a year old next month. The 3 others are laying without issues.

4. wleighton

wleighton Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Try adding more calcium into their diet. It may be that she has a harder time absorbing it than the others. I add oyster shell into their feed and it works! I buy from my local farm store.

I also have 11 month old CCLs and are my first chickens as well! Enjoy!

5. wleighton

wleighton Just Hatched

Aug 23, 2016
    Oops! You're already using oyster shell. Hope someone else can chime in with some help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by