Cream Crested Legbar pullets laying soft shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nrepy, Sep 26, 2016.

1. nrepy

nrepy Just Hatched

Aug 28, 2016
    Hellertown, Pennsylvania
    I am new to chicken keeping and I have 4 hens, 1 Rhodbar, 1 Plymouth barred rock & 2 cream crested legbars that are almost 6 months old. The rhode and Plymouth have been laying everyday for about a month. One of the cream crested started to lay this past Saturday. The first egg was crushed & the shell is very soft. She laid another egg this morning and has a small hole where she pecked at it and shell is soft. I feed a Layer formula, mix in oyster shells & free feed crushed egg shells once a week. Is this normal in a young pullet in this breed?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

pullets just starting to lay often lay odd eggs, soft shelled, double yolk, deformed shells, are all pretty normal in a new layer

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens!! They sound like they are getting plenty of calcium, so I would think it will most likely stop in a few days, pullets do tend to lay odd looking eggs the first few days of their laying-hood. ;) I do suggest not mixing in the oyster shells though, feed them free choice in a different feeder. Good luck with your hens and have fun on BYC!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good advice above......try to gather eggs as frequently as possible just to keep the mess to a minimum and not possible allow them in the habit of eating eggs.
    Putting some fake eggs in the nests can help convince them all eggs cannot be broken open so easily.
    It can take up to a month or so for things to smooth out with a new layer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by