1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cream Crested Legbars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 2Thornmoorllama, Aug 16, 2014.

1. 2Thornmoorllama

2Thornmoorllama New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Please can anyone tell me whether the colour sexing in the CCL still runs true when they are crossed with another breed (we have crossed the CCL with an OEPF cockerel); all of the resulting chicks appear to be pullets according to the colour sexing - but I wonder if this will be the case because of the cross. Can anyone answer this?
    Many thanks!
    Chris

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi 2Thornmoorllama! First of all, [​IMG]

I have done a number of crosses and pretty much the auto sexing dies with the out cross. There may be some correlation depending on the genetics of the breed that you are crossing to (like another auto sexing breed would work), but for the most part, no can do.

You can create Sex-links by using a Cream Legbar female (one barring gene will be passed to her son) with a non-silver based male. All the boys will have a spot on their heads and he girls will not inherit the barring gene and thus will be spot free.

I am not sure what OEPF stands for--Old English something I suppose?--so its hard to comment on the Sex-linkage possibilities.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  3. 2Thornmoorllama

2Thornmoorllama New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Hello - thanks for your reply. The Cream Crested Legbar hens are run with an Old English Pheasant Fowl cockerel; I have little no understanding of creating Sex-links and I have no idea what a non-silver based male is! None of the chicks have a spot on their head - all have the 'chipmunk' like stripes down their back.
    Thanks again.
    Chris

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Just so you know. ........ the breed is called Crested Cream Legbar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by