Cream Leg Bar Pullet w/ a swollen eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Binkydl, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Binkydl

Binkydl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2015
    I'm worried about my cream leg bar. She's about to lay but has one swollen eye. She seems extra tired and doesn't come for meal worms.

She is pooping smaller poops that look normal. She is still drinking and eating but sits away from the group and doesn't come when called.

I cleaned the coop thoroughly, started antibiotic eye ointment and drops. Have been using for three days with little or no change.

My chickens get table scraps, yogurt, sprouts, flax seeds, nuts, scratch and normal feed.

I also started VetRX yesterday.

Any thoughts? I'd hate to loose her.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    My chicken also suffered something similar to this. My prediction is pink eye, of course your chicken may not have pink eye but the swelling is something to watch. I have a couple prescriptions that may help. Vetericyn is perfectly fine for chickens. I used it on one of my hens that got pecked in the eye. It helped a lot. However, it is not an antibiotic eye ointment. If you need one with an antibiotic, then Terramycin would be the way to go. TSC usually carries it, but every time I go in there the spot is empty! What I did for my hen was wash the eye out with saline solution, then applied the Vetericyn gel on and in her eye.This should help your chicken and if it doesn't seek immediate veterinary help. Best of Luck
    Justin
    [​IMG]

3. Binkydl

Dec 31, 2015
    We've already seen the vet. We started Terramycin Monday. No change in the eye after three days. We used a saline solution eye wash on Sunday and Monday already. :-(

4. Jucodeo

Jun 15, 2016
    I am very sorry for your chickens condition. Well if that hasn't worked then I would recommend to possibly keep using the medicine. When this happened to my chicken it took around 5 days but it can take longer. After a week or two if there is no improvement then return to the vet and see if they think whether they should put it down, thinking about you and your flock!
    Justin

5. Binkydl

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you. :'-(

6. Jucodeo

Jun 15, 2016
    Don't mention it I am just trying to help people. Ik if I was you I would be very worried about my chicken. I really hope she gets better and I understand where your coming from... Please update me on how she is doing. Respectfully,
    Justin

7. Binkydl

Dec 31, 2015
  8. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
  9. Binkydl

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you. I will keep you posted and post pics. I decided to cancel my weekend get away to try this remedy along with the antibiotic eye ointment. Fingers crossed it works.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jucodeo

Jun 15, 2016
    Were all with you and really hope your chicken is OK. Me and my flock are crossing our fingers toes, and wings! Good luck again!
    Justin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by