Cream Legbar Chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sunshine0235, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    These guys hatched yesterday. Females have the chipmunk stripes and the males have no stripes or very very light stripes. I hatched out 5 chicks. 2 are males, 2 are females, and one im not sure, but am thinking female.

Heres a confirmed female:
    [​IMG]

Heres a male: (plain looking with headspot)
    [​IMG]

This is the one im unsure about, its got stripes, but is dark all over, on the front of its head is definite chipmunk stripes, then a splotchy headspot and then it goes into the dark grey with the two white chipmunk stripes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Basskids08

Basskids08 Chick Logging

I'm thinking it looks more female than male! :)

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm leaning towards the unknown chick being a cockerel, but I could very well be wrong.

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Good Morning Sunshine!

This one you are debating on is 100% male to my eye. You can tell this by looking at a few key tells:

1) The head spot is really a head splotch. Girls can have a head spot, but due to them only having one copy of the barring gene, it is much smaller than the boy's and should always stay within the border of the brown 'V' on top of their head. This fellow is starting out with a V but that V disappears. For me, the best tell if it is a boy or a girl is whether the brown stripe (that starts as this V on top of the head) continues distinctly down the back of the head and all the way to the end of the rear. If not, is likely a boy.
    2) The color of the down is more of a boyish slaty greyish color rather than the rich brownish color for girls. Girl's can have lighter 'colder' down than a typical chipmunk chick, but it will always be in the brown range. The down on boys has more of a range in color than the girls: it can range anywhere from a pale creamy-grey (almost looking like a silver-downed chick if you have ever hatched breeds carrying Silver) to a rather dark smoky-grey. This fellow appears to have more of a dark tone which is making the chipmunk stripes even brighter looking. I have not seen a correlation between down color in the boys and adult color--ie so far I can't use the down color to predict the best colored boys.
    3) The chipmunk stripes: on the females the striping seems to be highlighted or outlined by a darker narrow thin line of color. The boys can have very bright chipmunk stripes, but the stripes blend into the background slaty grey color and aren't outlined by a darker blackish-brown line.
    4) The eyeliner is more distinct in the females. I can't really see this boys eye liner very well, but it doesn't look as distinct as I would expect if it were a girl. The girls really have a clear brown eyeliner that starts on the lids (especially upper) and extends back. The boys will also have a bit of eyeliner but I think it is paler and less distinct. I think this trait is more variable and I use it as a back-up to support the other tells.

I know some people recommend not breeding them unless you can easily tell the difference between the males and females at hatch. This is good advice and I have seen some chicks look debatable. When I first started hatching, I wasn't very good at telling the difference, and as I hatched more it became easier to tell the difference between the sexes. So don't confuse lack of experience on the human's part for genuinely ambiguous sexing!

Good luck with your chicks. It can be a bummer to have the sex ratios being off, but on the bright side, it will give you a larger group of boys to choose from to get a nicely colored rooster, if you are intending to keep the rooster. I would recommend to keep them as long as you possibly can before deciding who to cull. They can change quite a bit as they grow out. I would shoot for at least 8 months if you can.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by