Cream Legbar cross possibilities...

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by FreedomFarm13, Aug 21, 2016.

1. FreedomFarm13

FreedomFarm13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    Hi, everyone! I just went and got several new chicks today, and one that I ended up getting was an adorable CL cockerel. They're only one day old, but I was wondering what would happen if I cross him with my other breeds, as he's the only CL I got. I have BLRWs, SLWs, Blue ameraucanas, and black ameraucanas. What would I get from each cross, and would any of them have the auto-sexing of the CLs? Thanks in advance, and as a side note, any genetic lettering should come with layman explanations as I'm a total newbie to genetics. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  2. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    BUMP!!! Anyone?

3. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    The best autosexing requires that the chicks have a wild type down or a down similar to the wild type down. The thing that makes a chick auto sexing is the effects of one or two barring genes upon the down color of the chick. Two barring genes make a male with lighter down while females with one barring gene will have a darker down color. Females can only inherit one or no barring gene. Males can inherit two barring genes or one barring gene or no barring genes.

None of the crosses will make an autosexing down color on a chick and all of the chicks will receive only one barring gene. Males must inherit two.

The best cross to produce easter eggers would be the amerucana crosses. All the offspring would be cuckoo barred. Black or blue with barring. The combs would be weird looking.

The other crosses would make green eggers. The birds would be poorly laced with zonal barring. They should have rose combs but it is possible that the combs would be single. slw will produce silver males and gold females.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  4. FreedomFarm13

Mar 20, 2015
    Arkansas
    So, I just ordered 4 more babies to cross with my boy. I got a speckled sussex, a BCM, a GLW, and a salmon faverolle. Oops!! Chicken math got me again! I'm super excited to see how some of these crosses turn out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by