Cream Legbar crosses?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shezadandy, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    These are definitely mixed breed- I do know there was an Ameraucana roo and a Cream Legbar roo and an assortment of hen breeds. (bought as fertile eggs for 1st time broody) One of these two hatched from a white egg which is from a white faced black spanish hen. The dark grey in particular has some kind of barring that reminds me of some of the CL crosses I've seen on various threads- as does the light grey, but not quite as pronounced. Also would love gender guesses.

All pictures are at 4 weeks of age:

Dark Grey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light Grey:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    The light gray chick debuted its little crest today! I think it's safe to say Cream Legbar cross as no other crested breeds were listed. So darn cute.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    adorable chicks - such beautiful eyes, that's the limit to what I know

4. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Thank you!

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    At four weeks the second one has a lot of comb development and with my male legbar crosses they developed combs early and they grew huge as adults, so my guess would be that the light grey is a legbar cross cockerel especially with that crest, and the dark grey in the first photos is a pullet.

6. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Thank you! Yeah, I'm seeing the same thing though I plead with it every day to be a pullet. ;) I weighed everyone yesterday- the light grey was 13.2oz and the dark grey was 9.6oz which supports the cockerel/pullet.

We've got one that is definitely a roo (but we have zero idea what breed cross he is) came in at 16.4oz.

Here's the unknown breed- Roos were either AM or CL, females listed were Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Golden Laced Wyandottes & sexlink. No markings- down feathers are more coarse than the others. Any guesses?

[​IMG]

7. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Oh yes, he's not shy about showing his gender is he!

My guess would be that he's legbar x red sex link, if those are the only options for the roos and hens..

8. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    I'm sure it's not impossible there's something else mixed in there, but that's what they gave me as the possibles. When he was younger he did go through kind of a pink-blonde phase when the wing feathers started in (picture is at 9 days old)- lighter now. Thank you for the educated guess! This one has been a head-scratcher with the lack of markings and light color given the parent list.

He's been very upfront about being a cockerel starting just shy of 3 weeks. Maybe he'll surprise us and pop out an egg, but I kinda doubt it. =)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. rebrascora

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    The white will almost certainly have come from the red sex link hen as she is a cross of a silver based (white hen) with a red based rooster. You will probably find that this bird will develop red patches on the shoulders and wings as he grows older (much like a sex link rooster, although technically he isn't one) and he should also be barred if I'm right about the legbar sire)) but you are unlikely to be able to see the barring because he is white.... white stripes on white are pretty hard to see [​IMG]. He should pass the barring on to any offspring though (if he gets the chance), as it is a dominant feature, even though you can't see it on him.

PS. Lovely butt shot!!

10. Shezadandy

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Excellent information, thank you! It's possible he gets a shot to show us what genes are hiding in those white feathers- as with any cockerel it will come down to how he treats people and the girls. I'm very curious to see how he looks at maturity.

Yes, the butt shot angle is, um, unique. For really light colored chicks it's always been a struggle to photograph the true color, with or without the flash, sunlight or cloud cover, inside or outside- and finally I took a 'by chance' shot and captured his actual color - maybe from that angle feathers are less reflective? I dunno! It is a rare angle for sure. [​IMG] Thanks again!

I think the dark grey (hopefully) pullet is working on a little crest too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by