Cream Legbar has not molted

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azygous, Jan 21, 2017.

1. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm getting very concerned about two-year old Snickers. The rest of the flock began molt in fall and have all completed it. I even put off adding artificial light in the coop where Snickers roosts to give her time to molt, but she never did. Not a single feather.

She looks frowzy and really needs a makeover. She has been the only hen to lay uninterrupted through fall to the present. She acts otherwise normal and healthy.

Is there some way to trigger molt without getting into drastic inhumane methods?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have had a couple of hens not molt the first time around 16-18 months, but around 2-2 1/2 years old after a major stress, such as hatching chicks or a dog attack, then went on to molt, and have done so yearly since. My little banties frequently sneak their molts, and I wouldn't notice unless I didn't notice a few tail feathers missing. Since it is winter weather, I probably would not try to force a molt. Just let nature take it's course.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I'm surprised when I see you actually have questions!

I have had hens wait till the very dead of winter to molt. But I pretty much agree with eggcessive and would just let nature take it's course. That girl wants to make sure you have some eggs and doesn't get on the naughty list. [​IMG]

I do understand your concern though and would probably well... I don't know!

Most people wouldn't even notice or be concerned. It's great that you are aware enough of your flocks needs, ages, and all that good stuff. I will follow to see what you choose in case I face it in the future.

Maybe she thinks if she holds out you will knit her a pretty sweater so she could be specialer. [​IMG] (ya I know that isn't a word)

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Funny you should mention hen sweaters. I actually asked my neighbor to crochet a saddle with a turtleneck for a hen who was getting her neck picked bald. She was a classy vision of high style in her yellow turtleneck.

I think I'll try to be patient and wait and see how long it takes Snickers to molt. Or not. At least she still has complete coverage, unlike a hen a few years back who was caught in partial molt for over a year and had a perfectly naked back all through winter and summer. I had to spray sunscreen on her so she wouldn't get sunburned. That hen did not molt at all her final year, took sick, and I had to euthanize her. This is why I'm so worried about Snickers, although Snickers is much younger.

I'll be sure an update this thread when the feathers begin to fall, if they do.[​IMG]

5. EggSighted4Life

One of my first girls' name was Snickers.... my fave candy bar.

I bet she did look spiffy in her yellow turtle neck... get any pics? [​IMG]

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Joycie the Buff Brahma in her custom turtleneck. It looks dashing, but she hated it. She was able to un-crocheted the thing, and shed it. I gave up on her naked neck.
    [​IMG]

7. EggSighted4Life

[​IMG]

That is too cool!

My compliments to your neighbor. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by