Cream Legbar hens/roos?

LocaFarmMom

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2019
Central Texas
Hello! We have some chicks that were "extras" in an order that we need some advice on. We think they are Cream Legbars - currently 8 weeks old. We are confident that the one in the pic next to my daughter's foot is a pullet - but not sure of the little chick on the right. There are 2 more pics of her/him for y'all to get a better look. Then we have a lighter colored chick that we are guessing is a Cream Legbar roo. Any feedback is appreciated!
IMG_8755.JPG
IMG_8752.JPG
IMG_8751.JPG
IMG_8745.JPG

Cream Legbars are an auto sexing variety within the Legbar breed. That means that, no matter what, the males and females will be completely different colors if they are purebred.

The females will be brown and the males will be barred/grey barred.

So, the brown chick you have is the only pullet. The barred chicks are males. I.E those lighter grayish ones are males.

Cream Legbars are an auto sexing variety within the Legbar breed. That means that, no matter what, the males and females will be completely different colors if they are purebred.

The females will be brown and the males will be barred/grey barred.

So, the brown chick you have is the only pullet. The barred chicks are males. I.E those lighter grayish ones are males.
Both sexes have barring the males just have more of it. Also the legbar ranges in color from silver to gold.
9-place CL color grid - grid2 copy.jpg

I'm not really convinced one way or the other on that ambiguous looking one. It's not quite barred enough for me to say definite cockerel, and it's not really colored properly for a Pullet either although it does have some color leakage in the breast. I could go either way on that one at this point.

Both sexes have barring the males just have more of it. Also the legbar ranges in color from silver to gold.
View attachment 1884890
I'm not really convinced one way or the other on that ambiguous looking one. It's not quite barred enough for me to say definite cockerel, and it's not really colored properly for a Pullet either although it does have some color leakage in the breast. I could go either way on that one at this point.
I am aware that both sexes have barring. I was pointing out that the males present as more solidly barred.

I know how autosexing works.

The 'ambiguous' looking one is definitely male. Not all males develop combs at the same time but seeing as these chicks came from a hatchery they are almost certainly not mixed. That is a male cream legbar. Hatchery stock is not like the pictures of the ideal bird.

Back
Top Bottom