Cream Legbar or Wheaten Ameraucana for egg production in small Florida backyard flock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lauren1824, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Lauren1824

Lauren1824 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    Hi, I live in the Florida panhandle where it can get in the upper 90's frequently. I have a small flock of 3 hens, a barred rock, some kind of light barnyard mix, and a little Japanese Bantam mix, which is ALWAYS broody. Since she practically doesn't lay, I want to expand the flock a little, and use her as a broody. Since she is so little and can't sit on many eggs, and I dont want too many chickens, so I have to choose between letting her hatch the Wheaten Ameraucana, or the Cream Legbar eggs that I received from a breeder. My chickens are free ranging in the yard all day, in a coop at night. I want a breed that is friendly, heat hardy, productive egg layer, not agressive with other chickens,and doesn't go broody often. I know I can't have it all, but heat tolerant, non agressive, and productive are the most important to me. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance :D

2. CHICKLOVER69

CHICKLOVER69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I ORDERED 9 CHICKS FROM A HATCHERY FOR THE SAME REASONS YOU JUST MENTIONED. I AM FROM THE GAINESVILLE ARE BUT NOW LIVE IN SW LOUISIANA. SAME HEAT AND HUMIDITY. I ORDERED BARRED ROCK, LIGHT BROWN LEGHORNS, RHODE ISLAND REDS, AND BLACK AUSTRALORPS. ALL SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR THE HEAT AND GOOD TEMPERAMENTS. PROBABLY READ THE BEST REPORTS ON THE BLACK AUSTRALORPS. HOPE TO FIND OUT SOON MYSELF. MINE ARE ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD. LEGHORNS ARE A LITTLE JUMPY BUT WOULDNT SAY WILD. MAYBE JUST MORE ALERT THAN THE OTHERS.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm assuming from your quote that the choice is strictly between those two birds. If so, I would go with the Legbars as they will take more heat than the Ameraucanas, and they are the better layers. Both breeds have fairly docile temperaments and are not usually broody. Good luck with your eggs.

4. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    X's 2. My Ameraucanas don't handle the heat well. Poor dears are always panting during the summer.

5. Lauren1824

Lauren1824 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks guys :)

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by