CREAM LEGBAR - Pullet or Cockerel

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Southpaw Power, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Southpaw Power

Southpaw Power Just Hatched

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    Last but not least, here's "Lucy" Cream Legbar. Once again I'm just trying to make sure it is a pullet, as what I paid extra for. Nevertheless, it's not like I can do anything to convert it into a pullet if it comes to be a cockerel (or is there?). Besides I'm sure my 3 new chicks even at 5 weeks old now are probably too young yet to say for sure. But they're cute, so I'm going to post it now anyway.

My other two post are my: Silver Laced Wyandotte named Wiggles and my Lavender Orpington named Lovey.

Here's Lucy

1 week
    [​IMG]

2 weeks
    [​IMG]

2 weeks
    [​IMG]

3 weeks
    [​IMG]

3 weeks
    [​IMG]

4 weeks
    [​IMG]

4 weeks
    [​IMG]

5 weeks
    [​IMG]

5 weeks
    [​IMG]

5 weeks
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Pretty sure that's a pullet. I am not convinced that it's a Cream Legbar, though.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are these birds from MPC, by chance?

I'm also thinking pullet. She's not the best example of a CCL, but does look female. I'm not sure how good their stock is as far as type, she may be typical of a hatchery offering.

4. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Looking like a pretty pullet! :D Don't know anything about Cream Legbars so I can't help with the hatchery stock/other breed conversation. :)

5. Southpaw Power

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    Thank you for your response. At this point, I'm pretty sure it's a pullet too. It does look different than a Cream Legbar even to me unless it's a "Silver Legbar" - which doesn't exists anymore. Nevertheless, I did pay for a Female Cream Legbar so in a few months time that better be what it is but with coloring off. I just want it for it's blue eggs so I won't be bothered if it's true colors are not good. Lucy is getting some very light cream/tan color on her chest the last week. Before that, I was thinking it wasn't a true Cream Legbar but a cross with something else as well.

I will keep everyone posted as they get older.

Thanks again.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like a pullet

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, lovely little pullet! [​IMG]

~Alex

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me, too.

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    pullet

10. Southpaw Power

Sep 21, 2016
    Livermore, California
    Yes they are, and let me state first I do love MPC. The people there are outstanding! You've got to remember if there is a problem with the chicks you ordered, the ones you talk to are not the ones packing up your new babies. Also, I only buy females. Of course I want them to look close enough to the breed I've paid for, especially at $32 a pop, but I don't need show quality. I'm more for the color of the eggs. So when they come out to be cockerels, I am so heart broken. "Lucy" is getting some very light cream on her chest and her black head dress I love. Now, if she doesn't lay blue eggs then, "Lucy, we have a problem".

On the other hand, When I bought in July 2016 two Super Blues and two Olive Eggers, the two Olive Eggers were totally different looking. Mine came out looking like a Blue Splash Maran, which I loved, where my sisters came out with a body of a Welsummer and the head of Legbar or Swedish Flower hen. Which is fine as long as she lays olive green eggs or close to it. Which is fine on how they look since those are the breeds they cross with to get the olive color eggs, it would of been better if they came out looking more like the picture they provide or some trait different. My sister loves the head dress and the coloring on her Olive Egger so everything is great. Unfortunately, the two I kept both were cockerels. Luckily MPC has a 95% sexing guarantee with a free replacement if they are younger than 18 weeks (about 3 months). Mine started crowing at 17 weeks, but you could tell they were boys even at 12 weeks. I am new at raising chickens to be able to tell the sex before they lay eggs or start crowing. My replacements are coming April 2017 and since my shipping minimum is 4 with the error being 50%, they also let me pick the other two breeds of chickens that will be coming with them. I guess I'm being a little paranoid with my new chicks due to I can only have 10 chickens where I live and after I get my shipment in April, I'll be up to 12.

Like I said, I do love MPC especially for their customer service. They also have a section where you can get to know their staff. I've talked to everyone who is listed there which is a nice personal touch in connecting with a the company as more of a family level. MPC does offer more a selection of breeds and the minimum of shipping is far less then a lot of hatcheries out there. Other than the ones you can go physically to. Unfortunately, I am not close to specialty breed farms. Wine yes.

Have you ordered from MPC? If you have, what has been your experience. Please let me know.

Thank you for your response and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Southpaw

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by