cream legbar rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tureen, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Tureen

Tureen New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Ireland
    I am getting my first ever rooster tomorrow, I would love to hear other peoples experiences with an incoming rooster?
    I have 9 hens at the moment and 3 of them are cream legbars hence the cream legbar rooster. I hope to add a few pics if anyone is interested and will let you know how he settles in, though it's quarantine first for the poor fellow. [​IMG]
    2 of my cream legbar girls waiting to clean the horses stable!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    When I first started out, years ago, I was under the impression that most roosters were mean. This was because my grandmother always had chickens and she had one NASTY roo. I still don't have a clue why we never made dumplings out of him. Oh well. Anyway, in my first batch of chicks, one turned out to be a roo. I said what the heck and kept him and I'm glad I did. He was a Golden Laced Wyandotte and he was such a good little boy, only he didn't like the dogs, chased them around and what not (which I liked because that made the dogs terrified of the chickens [​IMG]). Since he died, I've never been without a roo and have four with the ladies now. Before I hatched the four that I have now, I would kind of trade every year or so. If a particular bird looked pretty good, he would go into quarantine for a little and then go out to the ladies. Some poor guys would run around, scared of the hens and some would stand their ground. When you introduce a rooster, especially an adult one, it won't take long for him to rise to the top of an order of only hens. Cream Legbars are one of my favorite breeds. In my opinion, hens are almost as beautiful as the roos. Your girls look great, by the way! [​IMG]

3. Tureen

Tureen New Egg

Jan 2, 2014
    Ireland
    [​IMG]
    This is the new boy, his name is Alistair. Has been in solitary confinement for two weeks but is all set to go, fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by