Cream Legbar Roosters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bush84, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Hello all. I posted a topic in the breeding, genetics, exhibition section but there doesn't appear to be much activity there as I got no response. So I will try again here hoping for the best. I have four cream legal roosters that I hatched this spring. I am not sure which to select for breeding. I have read the sop but I am not educated enough on that to make an educated decision. Three look quite similar and one is different. Not sure which is the best. Three have that chestnut color on their back and wings. The fourth has none of it. Hoping somebody can look at my pictures and help me out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you need a better picture I can try again. This was the best I could do at night when they were on the roost. This breed (at least mine) are quite skiddish and run when they see me, even if roosting.

2. All Ball

All Ball Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2013
    El Sobrante, CA
    I'd suggest you post in the Cream Legbars thread - it's not as active this time of year as it usually is, but there is some activity and people there can definitely give you suggestions/critiques. I'd suggest you get better pictures though - some of these are blurry, and not from the best direction.

People there have often suggested it's best to choose for disposition and body structure first, color is easy to adjust later. Choosing a boy (once old enough to tell) who treats his ladies well and is not human aggressive. Structure - low tail angle (as opposed to squirrel tail), long back, good health and vigor. Then upright comb with crest; yellow legs, good as opposed to washed out barring.

Your 3 "colorful" roos are from the first imports; the non-colorful one is likely from the Jill Rees imports. People on the CL thread can evaluate on whether color is good, too much, too little. You should provide side photos so they can see the back length and tail angle, and closeups of the head are good as well to evaluate the combs and crests.

3. Bush84

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    I'll try to post a few more pictures first here and go in the other thread if needed. A picture of each individual and a couple with all four in one shot.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The silver one is not the proper coloring, he's an easy cull. Cream Legbars are the same base genetics as Brown Leghorn or Welsummer, but with the barring gene (obviously) and the cream dilute gene, giving a washed out look to the gold/red. They should not have a silver base color. The flopped over combs are also culls.

5. Bush84

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Then it's the rooster at the top. His comb is the least flopped. Thanks for the help!

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by