Cream Legbar sexing

cadeschicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2012
So, I thought it would be nice to have an autosexing breed and got me some cream legbar eggs. Now, I'm still not absolutely sure I'm reading their markings correctly. None of them have an obvious yellow dot on their heads, but most of the "girls" don't have an entirely clean V shape on their heads either. Surely, I'm not lucky enough to have 5 out of 8 be girls. Do any legbar peeps have an opinion on these chicks?

the "girls":
girls.jpg

the "boys":
boys.jpg

I see what you mean. I had 4 CL boys one year (hatchery worker grabbed from the wrong bin). All four looked just like the boy in the top right of your picture. Kind of grayish yellow with lighter yellow on the head, but not a distinct spot. The other two in your "boys" photo don't look like CL boys, but they don't exactly look like CL girls either because the stripes aren't distinct. If I had to guess from this picture, I'd say you have one male and the rest are females.
So, I thought it would be nice to have an autosexing breed and got me some cream legbar eggs. Now, I'm still not absolutely sure I'm reading their markings correctly. None of them have an obvious yellow dot on their heads, but most of the "girls" don't have an entirely clean V shape on their heads either. Surely, I'm not lucky enough to have 5 out of 8 be girls. Do any legbar peeps have an opinion on these chicks?

the "girls":
View attachment 2571146

the "boys":
View attachment 2571148

I see what you mean. I had 4 CL boys one year (hatchery worker grabbed from the wrong bin). All four looked just like the boy in the top right of your picture. Kind of grayish yellow with lighter yellow on the head, but not a distinct spot. The other two in your "boys" photo don't look like CL boys, but they don't exactly look like CL girls either because the stripes aren't distinct. If I had to guess from this picture, I'd say you have one male and the rest are females.
I'd love to think I was lucky enough to get 7 out of 8 pullets. I was planning on keeping 1 CL roo so that would work out perfectly! I guess I'll have to watch and wait on the maybes to see how they look in about eight weeks.

I totally agree with MountainWoman73 - I think you have one little cockerel in the bunch; how wonderful! Please update with photos as they develop. This is exciting to me. :celebrate

Hey! Female cream legbars hve a distinct chipmunk stripe marking on their backs. Males appear more blurred out. In your “boys” basket I believe the top left one is a female and I’m pretty sure the top right one is the only boy I see.

Back
Top Bottom