1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cream Legbar Still Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crofts, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Crofts

Crofts Just Hatched

May 30, 2016
    UK
    [​IMG]

I'm getting a little bit concerned about my eldest Cream Legbar pullet Star (shown above), who I hatched 36 weeks ago. She has still not started to lay, despite the fact her younger sister Misty (who I hatched 30 weeks ago) started to lay about a fortnight ago and produces an egg almost every day.

Star is fully grown and probably a bit overweight. Her comb is noticeably smaller and paler than Misty's. I also think it has a slightly yellow tinge to it and it appears dry and shrivelled. Behaviourally she appears normal - just as hungry, active and inquisitive as all the others.

Misty is shown in the image below.

[​IMG]

Here in the UK it is winter at the moment and the days are very short (sunrise about 8.30 am, sunset before 4 pm), which again could be another reason Star is waiting to lay. Given the fact the other younger birds are laying, I am getting a bit concerned that it could be something medical that is stopping Star from laying. Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Hi there.
    I show and breed cream legbars in Ireland.
    In the past week out of my 6 breeding females,
    I have gotten 1 egg.
    There is nothing to worry about.
    I would think the main reason for them not laying is daylight.
    It's not bright until around 8am and dark around 4:30 pm.
    Hens need around 12 hours light so that's not enough light for eggs,
    Goodluck,
    Fionn.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by