Cream Legbars - 3 pullets and a super pale cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RonoKT, Feb 14, 2016.

1. RonoKT

RonoKT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Hi all,
    I have had a recent hatch of 4 cream legbars (sold as such, slightly greenery blue eggs).
    Three seemed to me to be pullets and the fourth was very very pale, did not look like the pictures I have seen of CL chicks, but did have the correct pattern just very very washed out to yellow. These chicks and particularly the pale chick have feathered out quite a bit now. I would really appreciate some opinions. My instant thought was the pale chick was a male but would be a breeding cull, I have since read though that very pale CL males are ideal breeding stock? I am trying to build a small laying flock, if the cockerels and the neighbours get on, I may do some breeding but otherwise I will be eating/ selling the males. I would only sell a cockerel of there was real merit in allowing them to breed, I have no problem culling. Please let me know what you can about these birds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    This could very well be a white CLB.

I am hatching CLBs right now. I own the breeding stock, (7 hens and 2 roosters). I know for sure these are my eggs from my birds. I hatched out my first white one the other day. It had problems with it's stomach not being completely closed/formed and died the first day. But you chick looks a lot like mine did.

Here is it's picture, as you can see it is not healthy, but I was in shock when I saw the color and had to research to see it is possible.

[​IMG]

3. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    I took some extra photos as there where none with them all together. I'm certain they are all from the same breeding as the eggs where all the same, they are also all very good flyers, better than all my other chicks (only light breed I have).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Thanks for the reply, I have read that they do rarely appear, I don't expect rarities in my second hatch though. Sorry your chick didn't survive. If it had what would you have done with it?

5. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014

I would have bred it had it had the other traits I wanted. The stomach issue meant it would have become soup or part of my laying flock. I will not breed a chick that had a birth defect, even though the majority are just "accidents" that happen in the egg, I do not want to run the risk of it being a genetic defect.

Yours I would breed, if it has the looks I like.

6. patches1

patches1 New Egg

Mar 31, 2015
    If it turns out to be a rooster, the lighter ones are desired and maybe you should keep it for breeding stock. Mine was not that cream colored, but he was the lightest rooster in the bunch and has turned out to be beautiful.

7. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    Good news for the little guy. Thanks.

8. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    A photo update on these guys in case anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Even the one to the left of the white guy has a white breast, interesting.

All chick pictures are worth looking at. Cute.

10. RonoKT

Jan 29, 2016
    London UK
    That's the "pale male" the white chick is a silkie that wanted to be in the photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by