Cream Legbars. Are these pullets or cockerels?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mattnpk, Oct 26, 2014.

1. mattnpk

mattnpk New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    NJ
    Hello everyone. I am new here but have a question about the 10 chickens I took in. I was told they were cream leg bars. I was also told that 5 were pullets and 5 were cockerels. But 9 out of the 10 look like cockerels. Could you guys let me know what you think by the few pictures I could get of them. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. usedhobarts

usedhobarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Hi, my research tells me that cream leg bars are easily sexed when chicks. Hens will have the defined chipmunk strips down the back as chicks. I recently received a group of what I thought were pullets but the two cream legbars both turned out to be roo's. From your pics it looks like you have at least several hens. My understanding is the hens will have larger cresting feathers versus smaller. A tell tale sign is the formation of Spurs. You can see in my pics of the legs. As I stated I was told these were pullets when I bought them but it is very clear now they are roo's. Mine were maybe just a bit older than yours appear. The roo's if they were hens would be just about starting to lay. These were late March early April hatchlings. Yours look closer to late May or so hatchlings. I'm certainly no expert. I would just watch the legs close and their behavior and you should be able to tell soon.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mattnpk

mattnpk New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    NJ
    Thank you. I will take a closer look at their legs. I am still new to chickens. I have 9 others that I raised from chicks. These 10 just fell into my lap.

4. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    I'm sorry but it looks like you've been had...
    As far as I can see they are all cockerels...
    By now the males will have long, thin saddle feathers that hang down their body by their wings, just before their tail.
    The look like beautiful healthy boys if that's any consolation.x

5. mattnpk

mattnpk New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    NJ
    Thats what I thought. 9 out of the 10 seem to have long thin saddle feathers. I wasn't sure if this happened with the pullets too with this breed.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No female chicken has long thin saddle feathers, that's an exclusive male trait. Agree you have a bunch of cockerels, and they're not great representatives of the breed.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them look like cockerels to me.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All cockerels.

9. usedhobarts

usedhobarts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    I know these two creams turned out to be cockerels but what about the 2 red ones? I suspect they may also. Any thoughts from the photos? I know the farmer did not intentionally sell them to me knowing they were cockerels as I can exchange any of them if they turn out to be roo's . I'm planning on returning the 2 creams but I'm not sure on these other 2. The other 4 I got at the same time are layings eggs. He is not to far from me but I would like to ID all the cockerels to exchange them all at the same time.

Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mattnpk

mattnpk New Egg

Oct 26, 2014
    NJ
    Thank you all for your help. I was hoping for better news but I figured these were going to be the answers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by