Cream Legbars. Thinking about getting some

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by boykin2010, Jul 26, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I REALLY like cream legbars and have contacted Greenfire Farms and I am thinking about getting some. I have been saving up my money and working all summer to get the money. I am almost there and was thinking about putting the 100 dollar deposit down on them so i can get them in October. It is still A LOT of money for me to spend, but I keep telling myself that I can sell hatching eggs and regain my money back or even make some money. I am not only getting this breed to make money off of them don't get me wrong. I like they lay blue eggs, and I especially like the auto sexing gene. I know some people have already started getting their Cream Legbars because they paid their deposits a long time ago. I am afraid that by the time i get mine, the breed wont be new any more and I cant get my money back from them.
    Do you think that if i get them in October and wait another 3 months before they even start laying that people will still want to buy eggs or maybe chicks? DO you think there is any way I can get my money back from them? Does anyone else out there really like the breed?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011
  2. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Does anyone actually have any cream legbars that are laying already in the US?

3. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Greenfire farm has them.

4. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I know that green fire farms have them. I said i contacted them. The question i asked was did you think they would become unpopular by the time i got them.

5. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    I don't know much about cream legbars, to be honest, but it is an awful lot of money for a pair of birds that look like basically crele EEs? Seems you could create a similar bird on your own with some time, and to me that would be a lot more fun. Also, I never count on "making my money back" with animals - all it takes is one predator, one accident, one completely random event and you could lose one. That said, if you have the money and it's what you really want, go for it. [​IMG]

6. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I am so on the fence right now about whether to get them or not! I just dont know what to do. I REALLY REALLY like them but i do not want to lose money and they cost a LOT

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Like the former poster said, don't count on making a ton of money with them. They are an interesting breed, and I'm sure quite a few folks would love to have them. But, think about it before you drop that big wad of money down! Do you have a completely covered and secure coop and run? It only takes one racoon, possum, weasel, or dog to kill off all of your birds. Or a storm, or the neighbor kid with a BB gun, or a hawk, or a cat when they are chicks. Do you have the money to properly feed them, supplementing with sunflower seeds, fruits, veggies, vitamins, grit, medication if needed? If I were to spend that kind of money on three birds, they'd be living in my house! [​IMG] On the plus side; if you really love the breed, and so do others, be assured they will be interesting to others with your same likes. The fads come and go, the prices drop drastically, but the birds are still the same. If it's something you HAVE to do, then do it by all means. But chances are, if the breed is right for you now, it will still be right for you a year from now...and the price will have gone way down when others start selling eggs/chicks. Good luck!! [​IMG]

8. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    I got mine a little while back and I have invested A LOT more than just the cost of the birds themselves. I put quite a bit of money into their "Fort Knox" coop and also installed a 4 camera security system. I also have not allowed anyone into the fenced portion of my backyard since the Cream Legbars arrived.

I got them because I have had a fascination with the auto-sexing breeds since I got into chickens and I see it as, just like purchasing hatching eggs, don't spend more than you are willing to lose. As others have said anything can happen at anytime.

9. rc50

rc50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Do some research on Cream Legbars and what the British Standard is... then look at the birds at Greenfire Farms.... they are not close to being to standard....
    if you want to see standard Cream Legbars.... take a look here...

http://www.cream-legbar.co.uk/index.html

Keith
    SC
    USA
    Hambar breeder

10. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quote:I knew this before I purchased them. Most people who own a backyard flock are not interested in showing. Just as my Black Copper Marans, the Cream Legbars will give me something to work on, breed for and improve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by