Cream Legbars?

shirechickens

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2020
I have two hybrid hens and want to add two more chickens, and I’m wondering if cream legbars will do well in my setup as I’ve heard they like to range.

I have a run that’s 6 feet x 12 feet and during the day the chickens can also roam in an area that’s about three times the size of the run (so I guess that would give them about 290 square feet if my math is right). Occasionally they will spend the day shut in their run, but that’s unusual. There’s no vegetation left in the area they roam in, but there’s plenty of loose stuff to scratch about in.

Has anyone had any experience of Cream Legbars, and if so do you think this would suit them?

I think they would like that fine. But the problem you may have is with their head floof. Although it’s cute, it’s dangerous. They have a high chance of getting pecked on because of it so you will have to make sure your chickens don’t do that.

Have you thought of Easter Eggers? I don’t really know what you are looking for in a chicken but EEs have muffs and a beard and lay pretty eggs. They can lay pink, green or blue colored eggs. They wouldn’t get pecked on like a legbar would.

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I'm trying to deal with a feather pecker at the moment so it could be problem.
As long as the feather picker issue is not resolved I would refrain from adding any new chickens, not matter what breed or cross.

Crested breeds (Polish, Silkies, Creve Coeur) and those with beards or muffs will often get pecked on by those that are not used to them/were not raised with them.

But the problem you may have is with their head floof. Although it’s cute, it’s dangerous. They have a high chance of getting pecked
Nope.
Legbars head "floofs" do not inhibit their eyesight like silkie or polish.

1599824672352.png

I never experienced this when I had them.
Same here.
I have 3 now, they are middle of the pack.
The one who hatched back in May is still flaunting a bit of her 'Broody Fierce'.
Might have been the one who fought feet up all out against 2 young cockerels trying to have their way with her.

Back
Top Bottom