Cream & Opal Legbars

Neolones

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
Hi,

In my life (40 years), I have had several flocks, all of my previous flocks only had your traditional heritage breeds & some sex links. I raised them all from chicks & overall they were pretty tame.

Now, this year, I started a new flock, and decided to get some Cream & Opal Legbars (4). They are about 3 months old, I raised them as chicks, and at this moment, the two Opals are Terrified of me, my son, our dog, anything that gets near the coop. They are so jumpy, and its a first for me. The problem is that they will rattle up the Cream Legbars, that are much more calmer, not by a lot, but calmer & then hell breaks loose.

I did my research & did not read anything about the Legbars being skittish. Is this correct? The breeder I got them from, says they will calm down once they start laying, and I am OK with that, but I am still a bit shock. Anybody here has experience with these breeds?

The "opals" are still a relatively new variety. Leghorns were used to create the variety so they have leghorn blood in the lines from just a few years ago.
When the variety came to be breeders were first breeding for the pattern and second breeding for the blue egg genes.
I doubt any were very concerned with temperament and didn't breed for less flighty/calmer personalities.

The "opals" are still a relatively new variety. Leghorns were used to create the variety so they have leghorn blood in the lines from just a few years ago.
When the variety came to be breeders were first breeding for the pattern and second breeding for the blue egg genes.
I doubt any were very concerned with temperament and didn't breed for less flighty/calmer personalities.
Thank you, I think you are correct. Oh well, that is what I get for trying those "fancy" breeds haha.

This is odd to me, neither my legbars (cream or opal) OR my leghorns (standardbred browns or Isabella) or weird or skittish or flighty. The strange thing is that I don't really care if they are, I appreciate good wild instincts in a bird, but despite the fact that I barely handle my birds, they're all pretty chill. I mean, they don't come right up to me and ask to be picked up and held, but they're always milling about while I do my thing and only kind of casually move away if my tasks take me in their direction.

What I have noticed with ALL of my breeds is that juveniles, when not handled diligently to make them pet-like, seem to go through a really wild flighty phase at some point probably around the age yours were when you posted this. Hopefully they've chilled out for you. I'd love to hear an update.

A lot of leghorns pullets I have had, not so much the roos, are flighty when young but as your breeder mentioned, they calmed down when they started laying. They still don’t like to be picked up but they will come sit with us and eat from hand. So hoepfully it will resolve for you soon.

This is odd to me, neither my legbars (cream or opal) OR my leghorns (standardbred browns or Isabella) or weird or skittish or flighty. The strange thing is that I don't really care if they are, I appreciate good wild instincts in a bird, but despite the fact that I barely handle my birds, they're all pretty chill. I mean, they don't come right up to me and ask to be picked up and held, but they're always milling about while I do my thing and only kind of casually move away if my tasks take me in their direction.

What I have noticed with ALL of my breeds is that juveniles, when not handled diligently to make them pet-like, seem to go through a really wild flighty phase at some point probably around the age yours were when you posted this. Hopefully they've chilled out for you. I'd love to hear an update.

Thank you, yes, they seem to have calmed down a bit. They are still not as friendly as my other heritage birds, but they are finally not going crazy when I change their water LOL.

A lot of leghorns pullets I have had, not so much the roos, are flighty when young but as your breeder mentioned, they calmed down when they started laying. They still don’t like to be picked up but they will come sit with us and eat from hand. So hoepfully it will resolve for you soon.
I hope they do!

Back
Top Bottom