Creamy Chicken n Dumplins??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pips&peeps, Oct 31, 2009.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Anyone have a recipe for a creamy chicken n dumplins without using canned creamed soup?

Thanks,

2. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Creamed soup in dumplings???????? What??? Well I never.....

Mom's recipe and it's never been written down, it's one of those auto-pilot recipes for us, we don't even think about it anymore:
    1 old hen
    minimum of an 8 quart stock pot
    4 pack of the cheapest canned buttermilk biscuits (look for the blue tubes)
    SR flour for dusting
    salt and pepper to taste

Start the day before by slowly simmering hen until it starts to fall apart. Remove hen from broth, stick broth in fridge overnight to congeal. Once hen is cooled remove skin and debone. Save out about 2 cups of meat and use the rest for whatever you like. Late the night before or early the day of, pop open cans of biscuits, dust with the flour and roll out to about 1/8" thick, slice into 1" strips (I use a pizza cutter) and lay out on baking sheets, don't worry about piling it up - it's fine we do this to ease prep during the making of the rest of the meal (usually Thanksgiving etc). Skim off the fat and gunk from the congealed broth. Start on heat, add the reserved chicken and get to boiling, add salt and pepper to taste at this point. Reduce heat to medium or so and drop in dumplings a few at a time, carefully stirring after each addition. Add until you have added them all, may need to add some more broth if this soaks up everything before they have cooked through but this should NOT be soupy. Should be really creamy and the dumplings should be done after about 25 minutes. Stir often or else you could burn the bottom.

I'm starting to drool just thinking about dumplings......

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    chicken stew:
    1 chicken
    2 stalks of celery - sliced
    2 carrots - sliced
    1 small white onion - diced
    2 cloves of garlic - crushed
    2 T butter
    crazy janes salt
    Black pepper - if you have a grinder that's best.

Dumplings:
    milk
    bisquick

Boil your chicken all day then pull out the bones and skin - don't skim the fat off!!! (you need this to bind for the creamyness)
    I leave my chicken in big meaty chunks for a really rustic dish - but you can dice it if you want at this point.
    lightly sautee your vegis in the butter and then add to the pot. You should have a lot of water in there at this point - more than you think you should, add some if neccessary. adjust the flavor with Crazy janes & black pepper. Then simmer on low for 1 hour.

It won't look creamy at this point . . . but it's coming!

Mix your dumplings according to recipe on bisquick box and follow directions for boiling them. As they float to the top (they sink at first) sprinkle them with fresh ground pepper.

When dumplings are done let the pot sit off of the heat for about 15 min before serving. It is the fat frrom the chicken and the milk for the dumpling that makes the creamy gravy, so if you omit them . . .

4. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    This is my grandmother's dumpling recipe. They are tasty and not at all like biscuits.

GRANDMA'S DUMPLINGS

2 tsp baking powder
    1 ½ cups flour
    ¾ tsp salt
    ¾ cup milk
    Mix together. Drop by spoonful on top of stew or soup. Cook 10 minutes uncovered and then
    10 minutes covered.

5. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    My Gram made her dumplings but they were always a little to "doughy" for my liking but my MIL uses thick store bought tortillas...thats what I use and get rave reviews!!

6. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I cook my chicken in the pressure cooker and after it is all deboned, I Like to add a couple of potatoes and carrots -cubed small -and then I bring it back up to pressure. 2-3 mins turn off heat
    Mix bisquik and milk till it is a thick dough.
    remove lid and add a little 1/2 & 1/2-bring to a boil-drop dough by spoonful onto broth
    cover & cook 5 minutes then cook uncovered 5 more minutes

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  7. Atomic Rooster

Atomic Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    East Central Mississippi
    I am going to try creamy chicken and dumplin recipe. any tips on pressure cooking one ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by