Creatin a new breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThePRfan, Jan 19, 2015.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    I have a rooster that is mix,and want to find out what he is mixed with,possibilities ETC.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I plan on having him "Fertilize" my Production Reds hens eggs,and see what the make,then I plan on coming up with a name,probably gonna be brown with some nice white and black Feathers.

I plan on naming it the Blue/Brown sexlink Hybrid because they would likely be Brown with blue,pretty feathers including more.

I also plan on making a Buff Hybrid!

Any helps greatly appreciated!

2. Trexroo

Trexroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    north east mi
    Buff hybrids interest me.I have some first gen buff x barred hens and roos.(2 of each from the same gene pool).I still have the parent stock barred rocks. I lost the buffs in my divorce. I plan on breeding the first gen up with Jersey giants and leghorn.

Have you a breeding plan for your goals?

Best advice I have is to set a clear goal. Then define it.

3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    If your rooster is a mixed breed (mutt), and you cross him with production reds, which are basically Rhode Island Reds bred for egg production, you will get a variety of offspring. They will be of different colors. They will by no means be a breed of chicken.

You may get a good barnyard mix of chickens, though.

1 person likes this.
  4. Trexroo

Trexroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    north east mi
    Breeding could combat that.

All birds are mutts. some more than others.

5. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    A production red isnt a rir,it is bred with rirxNewhampshirexa lil leghorn.

6. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Well thanks guys...

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

A production red is similar to a Rhode Island Red, but the production red is not a breed of chicken.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/productionredpage.html

Cackle hatchery states that it crosses Rhode Island Reds with New Hampshire chickens to produce production red. New Hampshire chickens were created by selectively breeding Rhode Island Reds. Production reds are very similar to Rhode Island Reds.

The original poster stated he wanted to cross his mixed-breed rooster with his production red hens. I was just pointing out that a wide variety of chickens will be produced. And this will not produce a breed of chickens. It would take several generations of breeding to create some sort of breed of chicken. The definition of a breed is that it breeds true the majority of the time.

1 person likes this.
  8. ThePRfan

Sep 27, 2014
    Yeah,the pr is bred with quite a bit of rir.

As it being a breed,is a personal opinion.

It still wouldn't make it the rir.Rir is a black brown bird,the rir wi always be that way.
    The pr never had really had a rir exact look.

9. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Not opinion. As I stated, a breed of chicken breeds true the majority of the time. Try breeding production reds and see what happens.

Again, I just stated that the production red is similar to the Rhode Island Red because that is where most of its genetics come from.

10. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    It's hard to guess with a mix like your rooster what genes may be in the mix. He looks to be pure for S, if so his female offspring will be S - . They will not have the gold ground color which is enhanced by Mh to make a red chicken. His male offspring will be Ss+ "golden" (yellowish where he is white) Technically I guess you could say they'll be sex linked but Silver rooster over gold hens isn't as easy to sex as Gold rooster over silver hens. He looks Silver Birchen. I'll go out on a limb and make the wild guess that a lot of the hens will be mostly black with more or fewer cream colored feathers on the head and neck. Bullit is right that when you breed a mixed breed you get variety. With your (very pretty) rooster you don't Know what may be hiding under the Birchen color pattern.You'll see even more variety in f2 and succeeding generations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by