Creating a bantam

CabPoultry

Hatching
Mar 29, 2015
caboolture, QLD, Australia
Need opinions on this

I'm looking to bantam an exsiting breed
I'd like to create platinum Sussex bantams and speckled Sussex bantams although I'm sure they are out there like the light bantams and coronations it's proving impossible to find them in Australia so I've decided to try my hand at breeding them instead any tips on how to go about this or Any genetic straights that I should keep my eye out for I've started by putting a small platinum girl in with my coronation bantams she's about the same size as the bantam roo and I aalready have a small speckled Sussex hen that's about the same size as the bantam hens

Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. I wish I could help you, but I have no experience trying to develop bantam breeds. I would suggest posting this on our Genetics section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/16188/exhibition-genetics-breeding-to-the-standard-of-perfection and letting our experts there help you. You might also try posting it on our General Breed Discussions and FAQ section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/general-breed-discussions-faq. Perhaps someone there can answer your questions. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in developing your bantams.

Do you have a big enough gene pool - so you don't have to breed back to the same 2small individuals for several generations?

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry but I too can't be of much help to you but Definatly post in the links that Michael OShay has left for you.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your bantam breeding, hope you are able to get the birds you would like.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I have never developed a bantam breed, so can't be of much help. You may get more help at the link that Michael O Shay left you with. Good luck with your project!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm no help with genetics and creating new breeds. Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom