creating a new breed!(PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Oct 29, 2009.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    :weeecould i well i kind of already started but they're absolutly gorgeous ill try to get pics later but for now ill describe them well the pair hatched out all black but now they are adults and the hen is dark mallard pattern with no black eyeliner and an all black beak: The male is colored like a rouen (mallard)but has more cocoa color around his wings and no chocolate colored chest and no white collar. i think i should call them faverolles because orpington/orpington silkie/silky [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

They sound absolutely gorgeous! In order to create a new breed you need to be able to breed true. I look forward to seeing pictures and hearing how you get more!

3. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    ill see in a few months if they breed true

lets cross our fingers [​IMG]

4. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    The color is dusky. Duskies can vary quite a lot in color and at times they can appear almost solid black as ducklings. I am not sure what you mean by your sentence, " i think i should call them faverolles because orpington/orpington silkie/silky".

Are you saying you bred them from Opringtons and Silkies?

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    do duskies breed 100 % duskies ?

6. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    no it just ment opington chicken orpington duck [​IMG]

7. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Not necessarily, Call Ducks. In most cases though, yes- dusky to dusky is going to produce dusky. I will have to think about it, but the only times I can think of off-hand that you could breed dusky to dusky and end up with something else is if there was recessive white or light phase hiding under the dusky. Of course, a lot of other colors are dusky Mallard combined with something else, the most common of which is probably Dusky Mallard with brown dilution (Khaki).

8. Dusky is the same color type as the khaki and dark campbell. I think yours have the khaki color, but maybe their bodies are more streamlined?

9. CityChicker

Mar 21, 2009
    Quote:LOL, you do know there are Orpington ducks and Silky ducks too, right?

I am just not sure how you came up with Faverolle and what exactly that has to do with Orpingtons and Silkies. Oh well. Maybe I am the confused one. LOL

10. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    no because an orpington is a duck and a chicken a silkie is a duck and a chicken an ancona is a duck and a chicken... So a faverolle chicken should be able to have a duck too shoulnt it [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by