creating a particular variety of hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by #1goatfarmer, Dec 26, 2011.

1. #1goatfarmer

#1goatfarmer New Egg

Dec 26, 2011
    Greetings and thank you for taking the time to answer my question. We have a small flock of about 18 mixed varieties, some bantys roosters and hens and some full sized hens. All of our roosters are 1/2 banty. We wanted to incubate some new hens of a specific variety. We separated two of our Buff Orpingtons (they have been laying for about 3 months) with the intention of letting them release the eggs that might have been fertilized by our banty roo's. However, since separated 8 days ago, they have not laid a single egg. They are in a large cage with a roost and a view outside. The rest of the flock is still free range. My question is: Can we go ahead and mix in the Orpington rooster with those two hens? Will they release the previously fertilized banty roo's eggs, then the Orpingtons? We would love to avoid more mutts. Do you think they are stressed and therefor not laying? The hens were to move to the roosters house (where the incubator is all set up) do you think this would further stress them? What is our best course of action. I feel badly that they are isolated and we are not even moving towards are goal. Starting to think buying chicks might be the best course.

THANKS!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

Your girls aren't laying because you stressed them out with the move. They should start again after they settle in. You will need to wait 3 weeks before you collect their eggs for hatching. After 3 weeks all their eggs should be fertilized by the desired roo. You can put the new roo in anytime. His presence may help them settle more quickly.

Good luck with your breeding program.

3. #1goatfarmer

#1goatfarmer New Egg

Dec 26, 2011
    thnx. we let them out today. I feel it wasn't worth stressing our hens. We also relaize that if we buy chicks they will be vaccinated, which homegrown are not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by