Creating blue from barred, and BBS genentics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedLadyFarm, Nov 30, 2009.

1. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    If I cross a splash roo to a barred hen, I would get a sex linked cross with solid blue pullets, and blue barred cockerels, right?

If I then cross one of these blue pullets, back to a splash roo, I would have all blue and splash offspring, correct?

I was just curious if the barring would resurface in later generations.

Also is the "quality" of blue better from crossing blues to blue, than splash to black, or does it all even out?

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think you have your ducks in a row, so to speak. Ive not had barring show up in subsequent generations. Im getting better lacing on the blues by using one black parent.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:So is the lacing better with blue to black, or splash to black, or does it matter?

I feel like a read that splash to black leads to less even coloring, and more "stray" feathers. I'm new to this, so I may well be wrong.

I'm working on a blue Olive Egger project, with the help of my friend's roos, since I can't have any.

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ive gotten pretty coloring, black to blue. I think that splash to blue can lighten coloring, from what Ive been told.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lacing will depend on the presence or absence of the pattern and melanotic genes, not black, blue or splash.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by