Creating my geese pen.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Envy, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Envy

Envy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    Heathcote, Victoria
    I'm in the process of fixing up an old cubby house and turning it into a night run for my geese. I'll post photos as I go. If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Envy

Envy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    Heathcote, Victoria
    So far I have:
    • Started painting the outside of the cubby.
    • Added a nesting area (made from an old barrel with hay as bedding). I'll be fixing it securely with rocks and sand and have two small bowls ready near by for spring next year.
    • Made an auto feeder. I've used a piece of poly pipe that is currently attached using strong rope. I'll eventually get around to drilling it in to the wall or fixing it with some metal - I haven't decided. I attached an ice cream container to each end so I can pour the feed in through the top and it will drop through to the lower bucket as it's needed. Just a little extra so I'm not needed to fill the grain as frequently.
    • Started to tile and fix in place the flooring for easy cleaning. I've used some old white tiles (that still need to be cut around the edges) and a smooth flat piece of wood for the rest of the pen. I'm hoping the tiles will prevent a bit of water damage to the floor until I get around to proofing it. They will also make it easy for me to hose down and clean out.

I'm planning on adding another two smaller nesting areas inside the cubby. Thinking about using some old planter boxes for this.
    I'll also be fixing in some mesh to the windows to allow ventilation but will keep out a few of the mozzies etc and provide a little extra safety for any future gosling/duckling babies. I need to add some kind of door as well - haven't thought to much on this yet. I also need some ideas on baby proofing the shell pool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It all looks great and some times finding an old used door from a resale store can be bought at a bargin, we made ours, and made them human size. love your idea on the feeder. and nest box is awesome too as long as you don't have climbing preds then your goose would be a prime target if she is brooding. as for the kiddie pool I wouldn't have it in the same area as mama and goslings till they are able to get in an out on their own, by using some kind of ramp or stones for easy getting in and out. gosling can drown since they aren't water proof right off. I have only had 1 gosling so far and he played in an under bed storage plastic bin for a couple weeks before he moved to something deeper. Thanks for sharing your adventure look forward to seeing it complete.

4. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Looking good and keep up the good job and building that pen and house for the geese.

5. Envy

Envy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    Heathcote, Victoria
    The only predators I have around here are foxes, eagles/hawks and snakes. I've started snake proofing with some strong fine wire that will be welded to the frame. I'm hoping that will be done in the next two weeks. I don't really need to worry about foxes because of my dogs. Not sure what to do about the birds though. Generally they don't take them after they reach a certain size and I've added the shade cloth to prevent them simply swooping down. But I am worried for next spring when I will hopefully have some goslings running around. Any ideas?

I'm going to take the pool out late winter (unless I can think of a way to keep the young ones out). I'll just let my gander out so he can go down to the dam and put the pool back in once the goslings are old enough. Is there anything else that should be added for the goslings?

Thanks for your help! :D

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    As long as the shade cloth is attached so the bird of prey or a climber couldn't get under and in the pen that would probably be enough deterrent. For play time in water for goslings any kind of shallow thing will work, a plastic under bed storage bin, a plastic dish pan. a kitty litter box, I use them for ducklings and put a large rock for them to climb out. Once they are completely feathered they will be large enough for the kiddy pool with someway to get in and out. I commend you for all your work and planning before hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by