1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Creating sex-link chicks!!! Help!?!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenPrnces, Jan 22, 2012.

1. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    I am soooo confused by the only chart I can find! please help me! I have a black australorp roo! What can he be crossed with to create sexable day old babies?????

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm not a genetic expert. There has to be something, but it would be easier to answer if you had a RIR roo.

3. camalianus

camalianus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    If you check like 6 treads bellow your posting you'll find the tread named Sex-linked information created by tadkerson. Plenty of very good information. I encourage you to take a look. To make it short one of the table states how to create sex link using a Black Australorp Roo. Any of the following female breeds will make a black sex linked chick: Barred Rock, Cucko Maran, Dominique and Barred Holland. Females chicks will be completely black, they will be black as adult. Male will have a white spot in top of their heads, they will be barred as adult. I hope this help. [​IMG]

4. bluestar.ranch

bluestar.ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Belville Tx
    good information. I plan on using the BA in my flock for SL chicks

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    any barred hen will give you sex links(Barred boys and black hens) could be Cuckoo maran he or barred rock hen

6. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Thanks everybody! I was hoping it could be done with someone I already have but I am gonna start looking for a couple of those breeds!

7. flockmaker2

flockmaker2 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    u can mix your black a rooster and if u got a leghorn u can make a Austra white is a white chicken with black spots it's ma good white layer chicken and i sex a speckled sussex and a red star a nd i made some kind of chicken with buff laces it's prertty check it out on my pro tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by