Creating sexlink chicks

Buckysgirl

Hatching
May 19, 2020
Hi,

I’ve always be a fan of chickens but am jumping into hatching whole heartedly!

I have a Barred Rock Rooster and three hens that are a barnyard mix (with some Easter egger in there somewhere). One hen is brown with black undertones. All her chicks seem to come out black with the white spot which makes sense. My white hens are a little more confusing, their chicks either seem to be white with a splash of black (all feathers barred) or black with the white spot. My hunch is that their male chicks are always black, just by the amount of Roos that I ended up with that are Barred and the amount of hens that are white.

I get that I can’t create a sex link from my hens, just an interesting observation.

I’ve also purchased a few chickens and coops and would like to strategically place my roosters with hens to create sexlink chicks next spring.

Here is what I have:

Silver Laced Wyandottes ( hens and one Roo)

Barred Rock ( hens and Roo)

1 RIR Rooster

2 Cream Legbar hens

2 White Sapphire Hens

1 BCM Rooster

Barred Rock Crosses (Black with White Barring)

Barred Rock Crosses (White with White Barring and random Black barred spots)

Four solid black hens

Two black laces crosses Hens

Four white hens

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Here is a very informative post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/
You can make sex links with the rhode island red rooster and the wyandotte hens, and any of your roosters with your barred rock hen. The RIR x SLW chicks should be striped, with hens being gold striped and males being yellow striped. The BR cross chicks should be black, males with a head spot and solid females.

Back
Top Bottom