1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Creating sexlinks, and broodiness

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by miss_thenorth, Apr 29, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I hope this is in the right section. I have just bought a RIR rooster, about a ayear old. I plan on getting barred rocks to create sexlinks. Myquestion is, are standard barred rocks known to go broody? i really want the chickens to do the incubating. If barred rocks are not suitable, what other kind of sexlink can I create with a RIR rooster?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I've had one of my barred rocks go broody. I have three that are just now turning 1 year old. Most of the layer breeds used to make sex-links do not go broody often.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I make black sex links and they are my little workshorses.

Broodiness, though, it not a quality I admire. I think in the long run of owning chickens, you will be better off owning an incubator. I really mean it. If you are at all serious about breeding, you cannot wait or rely on the whims of a bird. [​IMG]

4. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Greyfields, what breeds do you cross, and do the resulting hens lay well for the long haul, or just a lot for the first couple of years?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by