1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

creating the lavender sumatra?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by poultrycrazy, Feb 5, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    What do i need to create them? I am already planning on getting some really nice black and maybe blue sumatras, and lavender phoenix (along with some other colors of phoenix). Should i use the lav phoenix with the black sumatras or should i use a lav silkie with the black sumatra? I read and some one told me on BYC that silkies are the closest breed of chicken to the sumatra, is that true?

OOO and i was trying to think of some other colors to make in phoenix but i want only solid colors so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

2. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    OOO and dont say dun cuz i am already getting them

3. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Wow what a cool project! I am not sure about which to use but would love to see pics and hear about your progress! Where are you getting the lavender phoenix? I have never seen one in that color!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Although I really am not a fan at all of this idea (don't get me wrong, it sounds gorgeous, but we're just putting Lavender on way too many breeds, when the ones who already have Lavender STILL need a lot of work, plus quite a few have feather structure issues because of the Lavender color. [​IMG] ) I would say start out with the Silkie and/or Pheonix. Silkies are pretty close because they have the dark pigment, however Pheonixes have the long tail and more relative body shape versus Silkies. It's a double edged sword for both. But, again, not really a fan of this idea. I love the khaki/dun color on Sumatras, but Lavender. . . It's got enough problems as is.

5. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Is there any other colors that would look good on sumatra? And i agree about the whole lav thing u said

6. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Me

I just pmed you the outline for using the lav phoenix to make the sumatra.
    Dont care who said a silkies was close to a sumatra, they aint, phoenix are closest for the color, yokohamas or something similar would be best, but not available in lavender , so phoenix are it. The sumatras comb is dominate, so there will be no issues there with the phoenix single comb
    With silkies you have feathered legs, that mess of toes, fuzz instead of feathers, no such thing as blood feathers, etc, and not to mention a completely different body style to correct, would be a hideous mess.

Even still to get them to a high percentage sumatra in lavender, it will take a very long time

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  7. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Use self blue OEG

8. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Yep i got the pm from you BBB!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by